Period is all clots

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had fibroids for more than a decade and I'm used to passing clots, but this period is much different than the previous ones. Instead of free-flowing blood, I am passing huge purple clots (both when I urinate and wipe).

I'm curious if any perimenopausal women with fibroids also experienced this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Good morning this is quite un usual please go to A&E you be seen urgently by Gyne doctor.xx

• Posted

Hi USGal,

Yes, I can relate to your experience of this and have noticed my periods changing as I get older (I am 48). From my research, I understand that this is due to changes in hormone levels, and as progesterone falls, and oestrogen dominates, periods can and do get clottier before they stop altogether. I've found drinking lots of water with lemon, raspberry leaf tea and green juices help. I was prescribed tranexamic acid but this just made the clots bigger! Apparently taking ibuprofen also helps thin the blood - I haven't tended to take painkillers as pain is not really an issue for me but I am going to try taking them on my next period to see if this lessens the bleeding. One positive side effect for me is that my period seems to be over far more quickly these days - 5 or 6 days now as opposed to my previous 10 to 12 days duration (that was no picnic, I can tell you!)

However, if this is unusual for you, if you are in intense pain or feeling like you are bleeding out, becoming breathless and dizzy, then please do get yourself to A&E and seek immediate medical attention.

• Posted

Thank you for the tips. Luckily, my flow is back to normal (albeit still heavy with my usual number and size of clots). I think the expulsion of so many clots cleaned out my uterus, because the heaviness I was experiencing is now gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.