Period pain radiating to right side of thigh.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, for the first 2 days of my period my cramps are really bad. I am able to get up and go about my day if i take tylenol. but only lasts for awhile before the pain comes back. The issue is around the 2nd or 3rd day of my cycle I begin to feel this burning sensation on the outer part of my right thigh. My thigh does not feel warm to the touch nor swollen. I just get a pain that feels like its burning in that one specific spot. with the occasional pelvic cramping. This pain lasts throughout my whole cycle and then some days after. Sometimes even a week after. I've told my gynecologist and he sent me for a complete pelvic ultrasound and everything came back normal. He just said to keep taking painkillers but sometimes that doesn't even work. strange thing is this pain only starts up once my cycle begins. Anyone else have this issue or know what may be causing it?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I get period pain down my thighs as well. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and my period pain can be unbearable. The best painkiller I have tried is naproxen. You take it as soon as you get pain before your period and take it every day until the pain stops. It can actually lighten your flow as well. It can give you a bit of indigestion and reflux though so have some rennie or zantac nearby in case.

Has endometriosis been mentioned to you?

• Posted

I actually thought about endometriosis being the cause but my gynecologist said everything came back normal so no abnormalities or cysts anywhere. so that is why I'm at a loss. I actually am allergic to ibuprofen and any NSAIDs. So that limits me on what I can actually take for painkillers. He pretty much said it was a side effect of my menstrual cycle. but the pain is so bad sometimes I dont even know if I should get a 2nd opinion or not.

• Posted

Ultrasounds can't always tell if you have endometriosis. Ask for an MRI scan. It must be a nightmare not being able to have NSAIDs. I can't have loads because they give me gastritis but I have some when it is really bad and double up on my PPIs!

There are herbal anti-inflammatories you may be able to try. I have heard devil's claw is supposed to be quite good for back pain so it may help period pain as well.

I have just done a quick google search because I am quite interested in trying something different and came up with Holland & Barrett Femlieve Agnus Castus. I may try them myself because it is supposed to help with mood swings and breast tenderness as well as cramps. I will try anything if there is a possibility it can help with all of those symptoms! Some herbal stuff can actually work, but I don't know about homeopathy though, I have tried it for a few things in the past and it is quite expensive and has never worked for any of the things I tried it for.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.