Period problems on Cerelle mini pill

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was taken off the combined pill Yasmin due to nasty migraines and went straight from that onto Cerelle. I've been on it for almost 3 months now and seem to bleeding a lot. In fact I've had 6 periods now in such a short space of time. So I seem to be bleeding more days than not bleeding. After putting in all on calander I can see a rough pattern of being on my period for 7 days and then having a 5 day break before I come on again...

I know they say to give it 3 months for your body to get used to it but this just feels far from normal.

The friends I know who are also on this pill have had no periods ever with it. I make sure I take it at the same time everyday and have not missed any pills.

Is anyone experiencing the same things? And should I stop taking this pill?

Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Your doctor did the right thing to take you straight off of that pill. This does mean for you that no combined hormonal methods of contraception can be used as they will put your health at risk significantly, and from here in progestogen only methods will be the way for you.

Cerelle is a progestogen only method of contraception, and all of the progestogen only methods are known to cause irregular bleeding, however the outcome is usually no bleeding or almost no bleeding.

It can take some time for your body to adjust especially when you have switched straight from a combined pill. It wouldn't be wise to switch again so soon.

I would advise to give it a few more months and the outcome should be that your bleeding is reduced to less than once a month.

If this is not the case after a few more months you can then look at an alternative progestogen only pill.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you very much for your help! I will perservere for a few months longer and see if my body gets more used to something.
  • Posted

Hey there, 

I've just started on the progesterone only pill myself and am experiencing the same problem. However, I feel mine was caused by the fact I missed the pill by 5 hours. This then lead to me getting my period for 13 days, having a small gap of around a week and now again it has started. 

Everywhere I've looked it has said this is normal for the first 3 months although I am yet to get an actual medical opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.