Period symptoms this entire month!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post op. Can you believe I actually started my period the morning of my surgery?! I had endo in the past (4 surgeries) and they removed my right ovary because of cysts & found out afterwards I had adenomyosis of the uterus. My surgery was 7/12 & I started period symptoms on 7/30. They haven't stopped! Is this normal? I still have the "swelly belly", but another reason for the surgery was horrible symptoms that would start 1.5 weeks before my period. The worst ones were cramps (having now) & migraines (having now). Mon I did some things like fill up bird feeders/bird baths, wash clothes & pick up a big package left on the porch (wasn't heavy, just big). The past 3 days I've felt horrible! I also suffer from chronic pain in my back (bulging discs & facet arthritis 15+ years) & that has been worse also (we thought the surgery might help that too). I keep telling myself I just had major surgery, but I'm tired of resting! Is anyone else having symptoms? Seems like I never know how I'm going to feel from one day to the next. Today has been depressing & I'm pushing back tears.cry

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You shouldn;t still be bleeding I would think, tried to remember myself after hyterectomy for endo, no bleeding afterwards if i remember correctly but wouldn;t guarantee that, i was soooo sick from surgery caused change of life, they really had problems with me, and then I flash addicted to morphine, so when i was discharged had to be re-admittted 6 hours later.
    • Posted

I'm not bleeding, just spotting a little (kinda brown like right before I would start my period) every now & then, so I'm always having to wear a liner. My dr said she was amazed that I lost little to no blood during surgery. Concerning my chronic pain, I've taken just about everything you can think of & my dr had me on Morphine for a while. It worked fast, but boy did it dry out my mouth & nose so bad that I had some tooth decay from it that had to be fixed (I even used Biotene products, etc.). Because of that very reason I wanted off of it & the withdraws weren't pleasant at all. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but I do appreciate you sharing & replying to my post.

• Posted

Hi I'm 9 weeks post op TAH I still have swelly belly and lower pain in my pelvic area they tell me I'm still healing inside and full blown menopause now I had some cramping and several times felt like I was going to start but that want ever happen ! I was climbing the walls to took for ever for my 6 weeks to arrive but each day is still better than the day before this is a very hard surgery hang in there it does get better

• Posted

Hello. Did you have a laproscopy done or did they have to cut you? Did they leave one or two ovaries? This kind of surgery is major and the reason I think we all need reassurance is because of not knowing how you're going to feel from one day to the next. I can't even imagine what you're going through. Surgery & now menopause? Bless your heart. I swear when I started fake period symptoms it felt like I never had surgery. I'm still using a period app just to document my symptoms. Everyone kept telling me "Oh you're going to feel so much better!' & then read a lot of people saying one day they felt better & then the next couple of days feel like they just had surgery (one step forward & two steps back). I do hope things get better for you. You are super brave for dealing with both of your issues. Thanks for sharing and replying to my post.

• Posted

I had a total hyterectomy da vinci style on 8/2 , I only bleed the day of the surgery, when I left the hospital the next day there was none.. and the next week I stopped taking pain pills, went for my 2 week check up on the 17th and returned to work on 8/18. ( I'm an office manager ) so I don't do anything .. lol but I feel great ! I only wish I would have found this Dr years ago. ( my old Dr just wanted to bleed me of my money and have me jump through hoops ) I also take 2 mg of estradiol since I am only 47 and hadn't gone through menopause. if I were you I'd call my Dr to see what they say, good luck

• Posted

You had a 2 week check up? Wow! I had a 4 week & thought she was only going to check my lap incisions, but she checked the stitches inside too. Ouch! (I was sore for 3 days after). If you have already returned to work then I now declare you Superwoman! I'm so glad you feel great. I'm guessing maybe you have a high tolerance for pain. I don't & I hate it! My mom & sister take pain like a champ (mom had knee replacement in March & didn't really take much pain meds & my sister didn't know she was in labor when she had my niece-she thought she had gas), but my dad is a whiny baby. I guess we're all wired differently. I do have back issues, so that affects everything. I changed drs also. I went to mine for over 20 years! I made up my mind after he screwed up my pills (I forgot which ones I was on & he didn't look back in my chart). The brand has 2 different strengths which are very similar in color. My hair fell out, made symptoms worse so I left. The dr that did my surgery I just met in April! She's a blessing & I'm so glad I found her! I've decided to go all female drs now. I am 45, so I hope I get over this & start enjoying life more before menopause comes my way. I've spent too much of my life suffering from period symptoms (migraines are the worst!) & back issues, so I've missed work from every job & dealt with way too much down time. I'm so so glad you are feeling great and continue to do so! Sorry for the long post, but thank you for sharing & responding!

• Posted

Your welcome. I do have a high tolerance for pain, ( I also under went knee replacement in 2014 ) that was AWFUL !! but it's great now.

I had the same OB - GYN for 22 yrs. ( he delivered my son ) and he's old... Like 70's so he needs to retire. My new GYN , I met just 1 week before my surgery ( I love him ) he said with my past history of everything I'd had done if nothing helped I needed a Hsyterectomy . I had fibroids in my uterus and an egg size cyst on my left ovary that caused me pain all the time !!!

• Posted

Darby it sounds like you are doing too much too soon, you really do need to rest otherwise you risk having more problems later on.  It's hard and boring I know, but rest really is the best thing.

My doc said some folks cant spot for weeks after, or having unexpected bouts within the first 3 months post op.  but anything bright red or smelly, needs investigating.

Tiredness and swelly belly lasts for a long time, esp after a long or busy day, or trying to do lifting etc...

some days it feels like one step forward, two steps back..

Hormones haywire, body taken a battering...just need to allow body the time to heal and not rush it.  

Had surgical menopause so taking hrt for a little, despite cancer risk being a little higher than normal, but just while symptoms horrendous.

It does start to improve with time, honestly, even despite having complications.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.