Periodic blood and tissue discharge long after TURP

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had a laser TURP procedure 22 months ago.  Recovery was routine ( several days of discomfort and spasms) and post procedure urinarion was good.  However, some months after the procedure, I had infrequent occurrences of psaaing blood and tissue during urination.  This has occurred 8-10 times.  It sometimes impairs urination until the tissue passes.  Latest occurrence was today.  Have others experienced similar issues?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

By Laser TURP, do you mean Green Light Laser PVP ? Hank
    • Posted

You might want to repost this with the new title and the correct name of procedure (Green Light Laser PVP), to get more responses. Hank
  • Posted

I'm not 100% sure this is relevant to your case but I had FLA in July this year. I was passing tissue for quite a while after, an unusual experience similar to passing a small bladder stone, surprising but not painful . No blood though apart from very early stage.

I felt this was fairly normal as the tissue from the ablation has to go somewhere. I've not experienced it for quite a while now.

I hope the same thing happens to you and it passes.

Pete

• Posted

That's normal. The tissue passing is either prostate tissue or blood clots, all to be expected. Cheers

• Posted

Allen:

I've had three TURP procedures over that past 5.5 years. The most recent one was done three months ago. One was a GL, two were traditional TURP - so I've had some experience with the procedures and the post procedure period. It seems that your hematuria 22 months post TURP procedure is well outside of norms. The literature on TURPs indicate that sloughing can continue for up to 6 months post procedure. Of course everyone is different. However, your 22 month window seems well beyond the typical case. One possibility is that you are experiencing a urethral stricture which is essentially scar tissue in your urethra. It could have formed as a result of TURP or post TURP as the result of strenuous activity or any number of circumstances. Scar tissue is "friable" and less flexible than normal tissue. It can fissure during physical activity and cause bleeding. This bleeding will eventually "scab over" and heal though is susceptible to further fissuring and cycle continues. The scab will eventually slough off and will be noticeable during urination. 

Subsequent to my three TURP's, I sloughed scar tissue up to 12 weeks post procedure. Never any beyond that timeframe. It might be wise to consult with your urologist for further evaluation. A cystoscopy may be in order to obtain a better view of your urethra. It's a relatively benign procedure and will provide a better view of your plumbing. 

Experiencing hematuria is always a bit unsettling especially since a little blood goes a long way in coloring urine. Nevertheless, it's a condition that should be investigated further because it can lead to more serious consequences such as retaining urine and flow blockage. Seems like a trip to your urologist would be prudent.

Best of luck further investigating and resolving your situation.

• Posted

allen- what you describe is exactly what im going through! I had my 2nd turp april 2017. NEEDED 2nd turp because of obstructive scar tissue and bleeding .For18 months i was good then all of a sudden (the first pee after ejaculation) a clot came out with blood . Blood lasted for 2 or 3 urinations . Now this cycle is happening regularly after ejaculation. Painful for a few days after each incident! Do I need a 3rd turp ? Thinking an artery pops every time any pressure put on it!Seeing my urologist next week! JOHN

• Posted

I had a tissue discharge 10 days after my bipolar/button TURP. This thread has informed me that this is routine for many patients.

Thank you for sharing your information.

• Posted

Allen, it's been exactly 22 months since I had TURP Surgery and I am experiencing the exact same thing. It's happened about 4 different times recently. It has happened twice after sex and twice after working in my yard doing strenuous work. Most the time it cleared up after two or three times I went to urinate. This last time seemed to be heavier than the others.I haven't experienced any pain however at times it seems that there is restriction when I urinate, somewhat. Not real bad but it seems the urethra is opening or not as open. After reading some of the responses, it appears that scar tissue is the problem in the urethra. I certainly don't want to have another TURP. That was a miserable ordeal !

• Edited

I had a TURP in 2017 and had frank hematuria often for 4 years and passed clots even more often. My urologist surgeon said "That's nothing to worry about. It's just your prostate growing back." So my prostate grew completely back and I now have difficulty urinating just like in 2017. My new urologist says that complete regrowth of the prostate following TURP is not that rare and he wants me to get Holep surgery. My primary care physician said I should optimize the dosage of finasteride plus tamsulosin to make peeing easy, minimize hematuria and minimize post-void retained volume and forget about more surgery.

• Posted

Just to add my $0.02 to this discussion...I had my 3rd TURP in early 2021 and here we are 2 years later and I don't pass scabs anymore but I do notice a bit of tissue now and then especially after sex. It's always a little surprising when it passes, but put in the bigger picture, it's just part of life now. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.