Periodic drinker. AA isn't the right place for me.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I've just joined this group. Would love to hear people's thoughts on controlling alcohol without AA.. I have tried AA Meetings at first it was aspiring but soon I found that I couldn't relate. I'm a functioning social drinker (two glasses of wine easy) but once every three months, then lately every month, I buy a bottle of vodka.i drink it alone, hide it from my husband and the binge drinking is becoming closer together. I want help, I am looking into rehab. I just know that AA Isn't for me.

Thoughts anyone?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey, You have done the right thing by coming on to this forum. You know that there is a problem... it is really a question of how big that problem becomes or is. I personally dont think you are that the rehab stage unless you are drinking more than what you say. I hid drink everywhere, so much i even forgot myself! Have you spoken to your husband about how things are? There are groups that maybe also able to help you...contact your gp? At the end of the day anything you say to them is confidential. But you have to be honest with yourself and them...Please do this before it goes much further. AA was not for me either but there are other options. Take care and let us know how you are. x
    • Posted

good reply Sharon!! AA was not for me either and coped on my own..Robin
    • Posted

At the end of the day AA does work for some but def not for all. The weird thing is that most people assume if you have issues regarding drink that you should just head straight for AA but there are a lot of other options for all of us
  • Posted

You might look into Moderation Management, they're mainly online with some local meetings available. 

Naltrexone, taker per The Sinclair Method is pretty good at terminating a binge. If you take it an hour before your first drink, your drinking levels will drop over time. 

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

In general, I'd suggest you switch to something other than vodka/hard liquor. That hits your brain so fast and hard that it becomes difficult to control the amount you're drinking, good sense just gets thrown out the door before you can defend yourself, as it were. 

Therapy might be a good option or addition to whatever else you choose, perhaps take a look inside and see if you can identify what it is that makes you want to hide out and drink. It may be the just alcohol itself (especially if it runs in the family), but it may be partially a response to stress too. If you can get some help in handling those stressor situations differently, it could go far towards keeping your drinking within reason. 

One way or the other, you can do it. AA is one way, but it's certainly not the only way. Keep going until you find what's the best fit for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.