Periodic Entire Body Muscle Twitch

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've have recently had my entire body been twitching. The best way I can describe it is like a seizure, but in slower motion. My hands close and I can't open them, back, legs, arms all twitch and doctors can't give me any suggestions. This last happened about 6 months ago, and it happened 2 days in a row. This recently happened over the past week, 2 times so far. I've been to the ER for both of them and I just get "settled down" and they send me home with no help. I do take medications, however after extensive review with 2 doctors, that's their only "explanation" for it. Wanted to know if anyone else has something similar. Like I said, it isn't a consistent frequency, but when they come on, they come on hard. My legs are fully flexed and arms are like I'm trying to be in a body building competition. Any suggestions or things to narrow out would help immensely. Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What medications are you taking? Maybe someone on the forum has had similar side effects.
    • Posted

Hi Dan,

I do take a lot of meds, but this is what I currently take for various things. 

Propranolol (Inderal), Buspirone HCL (Buspar), Armodafinil (Nuvigil), Fluvoxamine (Luvox), Dicyclomine (Bentyl), Diazepam (Valium), Seroquel (Quetiapine), Eszopiclone (Lunesta). Those are the generic and name brand of each med. Hopefully someone can make something out of it. 

• Posted

Hi Bradley, I did not take any of these medications so I can't comment from a personal point of view. But it seems that some of them have the potential to cause problems with your muscles and coordination. I listed the relevant (rare) side effects below. 

Buspirone: muscle weakness, numbness, tingling, weakness in the hands or feet, stiffness of the arms or legs, uncontrolled movements of the body.

Armodafinil: shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet.

Fluvoxamine: absence of or decrease in body movements, clumsiness or unsteadiness, increase in body movements, overactive reflexes, poor coordination, incomplete or sudden body or facial movements, weakness.

Diazepam: shakiness and unsteady walk, unsteadiness, trembling, other problems with muscle control or coordination.

Seroquel: uncontrolled movements of the arms and legs, uncontrolled twisting movements of the neck, trunk, arms, or legs.

Eszopiclone: myasthenia, neck rigidity, twitching, myopathy

I don't know if you alternate between these medications or take them simultaneously. The only thing I could suggest is keeping a diary and listing the medications taken, the dose, and the symptoms. Maybe you can eventually pinpoint what is causing the most severe side effects. 

• Posted

my shakes and spasms started about 6 yers ago in november 2012 and i was not on any medication at all until things started to happen, first my hair was coming out,then i got ezcema,then i got a bladder problem,then in the november i started with the spasmsin my legs,then my arms,finger tingling numbness and also the neck and head i would go to your gp has i did and i had all  these  tests done,

and a full medical from top to bottom

• Posted

When it comes to autoimmune disorders and diseases involving nerve damage research seems to lag behind. Often doctors are merely trying to ameliorate the symptoms with no real options of dealing with the cause of the disease.  

Regarding clonus, I did not find any online support group and not much information.

In a medical setting, muscle seizures are sometimes treated with Magnesium Sulfate. I have problems with muscle cramps and have found that applying Magnesium Oil helps me. Have you ever tried to apply Magnesium Oil to your legs? Mg is very well absorbed through the skin (transdermal absorption).   

4 ml of Magnesium Oil (31%) corresponds to a dosage of 412 mg pure magnesium. I use 1ml at a time up to 3 times a day. Mg is similar to Calcium. Any surplus is excreted via the kidneys. The recommended daily allowance is about 300 - 400 mg.   

• Posted

i started with my contractuions nearly 6 years ago,it started suddenly,there was NO warning,it started in bed at 6am in the morning with my legs each contraction was lasting about 1 to 2 inutes then stop and then restart,then it started in both my arms,they were shaking uncontrolably again lasting about 1 to 2 minutes,then start again,then it would effect my hands and my fingers.Also it effects my head and neck,when that happens i have to close my eyes it can affect the vision,MY GPS sent me for  X-RAYS,MRI SCANS AND IT SHOULD UP QUITE ALOT,then i went to see a lovely doctor at Aintree Hospital i was there for an hour and a half i had a FULL medical,from weight height,b/pressure chest x-rays bloods,and then a full medical fron top to bottom,They ruled out M S AND PARKINSONS,What i have got is called CLONUS which gives the same as MS AND PARKINSON,i also went for a muscle and conduction test on my ANKLES,CALFS,QUADS  on both legs and the same on both ARMS that it an hour to dothat showed a problem with my leftand right side,Went back to see the doctor at Aintree again did some more tests like BALANCING on one leg then the other and i was falling ALL OVER the place,SO I AM ON DIAZEPAM 2MG AND I HAVE TO TAKE 6 DAY,I HAD A SPELL LAST YEAR WENT THE SHAKES LASTED FOR 8 DAYS,JUST HAD THE SHAKES AGAIN THEY LAST FROM 2HOURS TO 6 HOURS it is always in the morning,you can also get numbness in your fingers and tingling as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.