periods of nausea and dizziness following foot operation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a General anaesthetic and a foot block 17 days ago. I had surgery on my left foot, i.e., Weils procedure on 4 toes, and a K wire inserted down toe two, and a fusion of Great toe, ( for bunion).

Had stitches checked 4 days ago, have 3 individual suture lines, all healing, and clean. Rebandaged and wearing the heel weight bearing shoe, and getting around with crutches. Have spent 2 weeks 90 per cent of the time laying down, foot above hip, and been good!!!

Has anyone else experienced these periods of nausea and dizziness?? I am assuming it is associated with the surgery??? Can anyone help?? Going to surgeon this week to have K wire removed.

Thanks Quilt Queen!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you have a high temperature I would suspect you may have an infection lurking, especially if the area has become hot / inflamed. Failing that it could well be a reaction from the anaesthetic-you can get after effects for a few weeks, that's another reason for you being advised not to drive.
  • Posted

I don't have a temperature, no inflammation of wound, I think it is the extent of the surgery, which I was warned is major! I know about the swelling, which is why I have kept it up!! but had this heady feeling, although not taken many pills altogether. I will ask the surgeon when I see him on thursday when he pulls out my wire which is inserted down the toe. I am told this doesn't hurt when removed! I will find out! Quilt queen
  • Posted

Well I wish you good luck and hope it all settles well. I had a double cheilectomy which involved both operations on both big toes on the same day, having spurs removed from inside the joints so I know how it is. It took nearly a year to settle and then I got a Morton's neuroma in both feet as a side effect of the swelling that had squashed my feet up for so long despite me wearing extremely wide shoes (5E fitting) and putting y feet up as much as possible during that time.
  • Posted

Hi don't know if this helps but if I stood up much at all in first two weeks I felt like I was going to faint. Kept having strange dizzy type head which I couldn't explain, gave up all meds but it didn't make a difference. I think it's just the shock to the body that we go thru. I'm at 44 days now. Just been down to London for the day - we live near Oxford, as my son was running the London Marathon. Managed to get a wheelchair place on The Mall ( his knee gave out at 19.5 miles but he kept on going he was so determined to cross the line) and then I gave him the wheelchair for a while!

My feet are very swollen tonight as I've not been able to put them up all day but I've used the peas yet again to cool them a bit and now am in bed. My main difficulty now is swelling, I think I'm in for the long haul with this! Have to make myself rest it's so easy to walk round the house now and forget til I walk awkwardly or trip up!

But I guess we all knew this wouldn't be easy and neither was having rotten feet LOL. Sleep well everyone. VJ👣👣

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.