perioral dermatitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.

I have PD on one side of my chin and in the corner of my mouth, probably due to overuse of steroid cream (I thoght it was eczema) and I have been taking Doxycycline for about a week and a half now, and although it is not red and angry anymore, it is very very dry and flaky. Does this mean it's healing?? My Doctor did say it may get worse before it gets better, but I am also wondering when it will go! Arrgghhh... 

I have ordered some coconut oil as have read that this can help, although I also know that PD likes to be left alone! 

Anyone shed any light??

L x

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Leigh,

It does get very confusing reading everyone's take on this, I know how you feel.

For what it is worth, I tried a month's course of antibiotics which didn't help and then was prescribed Daktacort, which worked as long as I used it everyday, but then the symptoms returned within a couple of days.

Not being keen to continue using steroid cream, for all the reasons you'll no doubt be aware of, I have been using something recommened to me by a friend of mine.

It is called Allitech and is a garlic based preparation which works very well at keeping the symptoms at bay if I apply it as a liquid twice a day, which I have done now for 3 or 4 months. If I stop for a few days, the rash does flare up again, but while I use it, it almost completely dissappears.

I am hopeful that eventually it will go, but in the meantime this makes it relatively easy to live with. Here is a link to the supplier I get it from. This product can be used on animals aswell, so don't be put off by anecdotal stories on the website about animals that have been helped. It works for humans too!

Good luck,

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.