Perioral dermatitis - my wedding in 2 months!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am desparate since I am getting married in 2 months and red spots appeared on my face 3 weeks ago. Similarly to other women, I first thought they were typical acne and put some mask on it but they wouldn't disappear. I then googled it and found these posts but I'm also going to my dermatologist. I'm 98% sure thought that this is the case rolleyes

Any suggestions that would help me speed up the treatment would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, just wanted to let you know that some people can get spots after taking vitamin B12 supplements. It happened to my wife and her skin got better after she stopped taking the vitamins. (She tried masks, tea tree oil, antibiotic lotion, exfoliating cream with glycolic acid, etc.)

I know it is unlikely that your case is similar but you never know.    

• Posted

Thanks danR for sharing this. The thing is that I haven't changed anything lifestyle-wise, so I'm guessing it might be due to stress.. 

• Posted

Hi Elena,

I had a similar experience when trying to shift the last of my acne breakouts - bought a new exfoliator from Clinique as my skin is still very sensitive but needed a pick me up and ended up with a horrible case of perorial dermatitis! When trawling through articles, I found someone call it the vanity disease and that's fairly true as it usually comes up when you use something new and too aggressive for your skin on your quest for perfection. Sigh. I therefore agree with everyone who says leave it alone. Seriously, it needs tender love and care but it also needs space, it's like your skin saying "time out, you've tried too much and this is what you get". Wash gently with warm water, no soap, and use natural oils to moisturise, and moisturise regularly - when mine was at its worst, I remember having a little DIY plastic tub from Sephora and filled it with coconut oil which I would apply to the parts around my mouth where it was the worst.

One thing which has changed the game for me is a prescription from my GP called Skinorem. It's 20% Azaelaic (sp) acid and was horrid for the first month, my skin peeled like some kind of snake and I was constantly calling the practice asking if this should happen, should I stop etc. Just as I was about to, magic happened - no more peeling, no acne scars, no redness. Just perfect, normal, clear skin. Amazing!

So, my advice from my experience: 1. Leave it alone and treat it with extra TLC - this also means no make up sorry, difficult as it must be right now. 2. Go speak to your GP.

Within 2 months, this should be fixed. Fingers crossed and have a lovely wedding!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.