perioral dermatitis - nghtmare then success!

Posted , 66 users are following.

I am a 43 year old female who had very good skin until approximately 6 months ago. I began to suffer from this condition then thinking it was an allergy to something until it began to spread to my forehead, at which point I sought medical advice. I was initially prescribed Metrogel (which made no difference whatsoever) and thereafter Trimovate cream - this cleared it up within a week but then several weeks later it returned with a vengeance and was very sore and itchy, to the point it was keeping me awake at night when my face rubbed my pillow. I stopped using both applications and was prescribed Lymecycline. After two weeks of taking this antibiotic and washing my face with a gentle oatmeal face scrub for sensitive skin (Boots Botanics range) my skin was clear. I am still using this range a month later with no further outbreaks. I also only use Aveeno moisturiser (which was recommended by my doctor) which helps take any redness away.I now avoid soap, heavy face creams/ foundation. Success at last. Hope this helps.

5 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Manuka Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar

I am 49 years old and have had perfect skin all of my life. Last week, I developed a pretty bad case of perioral dermatitis.  I had scaly bumps and a ring all around my nose and mouth and it was spreading upward.  Scary.  I went to a vegan grocery store and purchased Medical Grade Manuka Honey Throat and Chest Syrup by the company Manuka Guard.  The cough syrup contains a blend of Apple Cider Vinegar, Manuka Honey, and other ingredients.  Within minutes, I could feel all the scabby, flakes coming off my skin.  It was amazing!  I have treated my face for 3 nights with this, and the dermatitis is almost completely gone.  It dries enough that I sleep in it.  Yesterday, I purchased a jar of pure Manuka Honey. I am doing 2 hour treatments in the evening. You may need to order the Manuka Guard Throat and Chest Syrup.  it was about $17.00 at my local vegan store, but it is well worth the price.  Amazing.  I hope this helps you, too.

• Posted

Hi I have really bad perioral dermatitis under my eyes and nothing is working everything is making it worse what exactly do you do with this cough syrup do you consume it or put it on the dermatitis? Thabkyou
  • Posted

Hello everyone! If you don't eat red meat, or hardly eat any meat, look for a BIOTIN DEFICIENCY
    • Posted

I'm listening to you carla49435....

after years and years of suffering with this horrible skin complaint and spending hours on the internet reading people's blogs, I've looked into this biotin and I've decided to order some capsules and see if it helps..

I will let you know how I get on 😊

• Posted

I am going to take the advice from carla49435 and try a bioten supplement.

I have had PD for about 5-6 years, it starts around June and lasts until Feb-March... I only have about 3 months of the year PD free... I have tried so many different products, all supposedly natural, I never ever use any steroid creams, I have gone for weeks just using the mildest baby soap and water, I've tried coconut oil, baby nappy rash creams and nothing works!!!! 

I currently have the rash around both sides of my nose and dotted around my chin, it started at the end of June, by the end of July I was going insane with the itching and burning, I follow blogs on every website to see what other people recommend and I spend a fortune trying things. So, Carla, I have just ordered some bioten capsules and will let you all know if there is any improvement.

I recently went to Tenerife and brought back a cutting from an aloe Vera plant, my plant is growing really well and hopefully next year it will be big enough for me to try the natural juice from it... I told you I will try anything !!

• Posted

Hi - I do not have PD but psoriasis. I have just returned from hospital today where I received the results of my Skin Patch Test. I had a severe reaction to Nickel. I knew that Nickel was in many products from kitchenware, moisturisers, makeup, cleaning products, everyday technological equipment etc. However I had no idea it was in so many different foods including vegetables, fruits, cereals to name but a few. 

The dermatologist stated that Nickel in particular affected people with perorial dermatitis which although I don't have this condition it may help others on this thread. They gave me a list of foodstuffs and stated that for people with PD or excema/psoriasis a Low Nickel diet could be greatly beneficial in addition to avoiding products containing Nickel.

i would therefore recommend that anyone with the above conditions Google separately both products and foods that contain Nickel. You will be amazed at how many there are. It also for food gives you both high and low nickel content. Like me I am sure your reaction will be oh my goodness what is left for me. I therefore suggest if you are interested that you cut out just the high Nickel foods first to see if it makes any difference to your condition but still use the creams etc that you have found to be effective. The condition had to have started for a reason, albeit you may never get to the bottom of it, but I believe nothing ventured nothing gained! 

I sincerely hope that someone is able to benefit from this information - best wishes for success. It would be lovely if it does make a difference that you come back to this site and post. Onward and upward to the Warriors! 

• Posted

How long did you take the Lymecycline?
  • Posted

A 17 year old who has suffered with PD for 2 years. Numerous visits to different dermatologist, fancy diets restricting most foods, several courses of antibiotics, supplements and goodness knows what else... However two years down the line and nothing was helping. My self-consciousness levels were raising and I felt like I couldn't deal with it anymore, so I decided to take matters into my own hands because so far no doctor had prooved to show they knew anything about the condition! I decided to ditch all my diets which were only making me miserable and weren't helping at all. However, I decided to stop drinking milk. (So far it's been a good decision and I'm sticking to it)

I also began to follow my own simple treatment consisting of only two products: salicylic acid (2% skin solution). I put some on a cotton pad and whipe my affected area before bed. This is used in the treatment of another type of dermatits actually, I'm not sure if it's approved for PD but personally I think it is perfect. The second product is a gentle baby cream with zinc oxide in it. The zinc is very good for you skin along and promoting repair.I apply quite a bit before bed after the acid.

So two months down the line and I am PD clean!!! The experimental treatment had worked miracles on my skin and i couldn't be more happier. My face is back to being healthy and normal looking. Good luck to you all, i know we can beat PD!!

• Posted

I feel your pain! Tried everything. Finally found a rosacea cream with tea tree oil on-line and it has worked!!! 

Friends are gobsmacked because I've had this for years and when I walked into the pub the other night they pretended they didn't know me smile

• Posted

Hello Ian 52 I've just been diagnosed with period all dermatitis , I been using steroid cream on this for ages it kept cing back went back to go more steroid all the time it was getting worse asked to see dermatologist she diagnosed this I on antibiotics facially and three months oral antibiotics plus double based gel which burns like hell when I put it on all my life never had spots pray it goes away

• Posted

Hello there, I also haven't ever suffered from any skin issues before however over the last few years I seem to get it mainly in my hair line and eyebrows and on my chin. Well that was until recently it's now spread onto my forehead and my cheeks. It's very frustrating doctors have proscribed nizoral was for body and hair and canesten cream for the redness.

Can anyone tell me as I've tried most moisturising creams but as fast as clears up its back again I get a tingling feeling similar to light pins and needles feeling prior to redness appearing then a burning sensation does anyone else get this ??? I intend on trying above and I was just wondering if it's still keeping it at bay for you.

Regards

Stephan

• Posted

Hi... I had this rash about a month ago and it was so sore I couldn't touch my skin. I got cream from the dermatologist (la ruche posay) and it was like my face was on fire. I now use QV gentle wash and coconut oil at night. I use the wash in the morning too and QV cream... it's settled great and hope it coninues. I was on holiday last week and used L'Oréal nude cc cream over my QV cream and it was great. Hope this info is useful to you x

• Posted

I have Been suffering from this horrible rash for about 3 yrs now. It started when I used a face wash in combination with a face cream. Now, no matter what face wash I use it hapoens. No more face wash. I Can use hand soaps but not face wash. I am also careful about what lotions I use. Only light creams for moisture. I put vit E oil on my face once and it flared up! This is really a nightmare. But I have figured out how to keep it from flaring up for the most part. I had you PD!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.