perioral dermatitis - nghtmare then success!

Posted , 66 users are following.

I am a 43 year old female who had very good skin until approximately 6 months ago. I began to suffer from this condition then thinking it was an allergy to something until it began to spread to my forehead, at which point I sought medical advice. I was initially prescribed Metrogel (which made no difference whatsoever) and thereafter Trimovate cream - this cleared it up within a week but then several weeks later it returned with a vengeance and was very sore and itchy, to the point it was keeping me awake at night when my face rubbed my pillow. I stopped using both applications and was prescribed Lymecycline. After two weeks of taking this antibiotic and washing my face with a gentle oatmeal face scrub for sensitive skin (Boots Botanics range) my skin was clear. I am still using this range a month later with no further outbreaks. I also only use Aveeno moisturiser (which was recommended by my doctor) which helps take any redness away.I now avoid soap, heavy face creams/ foundation. Success at last. Hope this helps.

5 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have self diagnosed myself with perioral dermatitis. I have had a nightmare with this condition. I went to my GP over a month ago, and she has given me a series of oinments/ creams: Fusidic acid, daktacort and hydrocortisone. Each one worse than the last. In desperation I have researched my symptoms and this is so obvious to me that I cannot fully understand how the doctor could have got it so wrong (at first she said it was impetigo, then eczema.) I am 23, wear make-up, am on oral contraceptives and of course I use flouride toothpaste like everyone else on earth. I am really losing my faith in health care. Anyway, I was honestly wondering what combination of oral antibiotics/ tablets and antibiotic creams have worked the best for the majority? I am going back to the doctors tomorrow and am not leaving until they can give me antibiotics, three times misdiagnosis is enough!

I was also wondering whether, after completing the course of antibiotics, whether people have now been free of the problem? I'm really hoping this isn't a recurrent thing. I have only just got my acne under control and now I have this to deal with. Why does it have to be on your face where everyone can see?!

Also, I do wear make-up but haven't been due to this condition, when the symptoms are over is it possible to go back to your old lifestyle? I need help people! I'm a pharmacy technician so I know my drugs and have done a lot of my own research, but I really do not believe in homeopathic remedies. They simply do not work for skin disorders like these.

• Posted

Chase- pease do not use any steriod creams on PD it has been proven to make things worse and sadly many doctors do not really understand PD- hence prescribing worse things.

Steriod creams seem to work temparily and then it comes back worse!

• Posted

I have  to agree with lisa66703. I was using a couple of steriod creams Clobetasol and Clotrimazole and it would get better  a day or two then  just blow up. I went from my GP who prescribed the steriod cream, to a dermotoglist who was horrified when I  showed him what I was using. He said they would make it so much worse and thats what was happening. I have been suffering from a little rash for several years that would appear around my nose and mouth. It would dissapear and return. Earlier this year I had surgery and the rash got worse to the point of covering my entire lower face area. It looks like a chemical burn. Not itchy but painful.

Dermotoglist has put me on antibiotics for 3 months and a topical cream. I am on 4 day of treatment. Hopefully this will work.

• Posted

Chase,

Did your skin ever clear up? I'm dealing with a facial rash/bumps that are really stressing me out.

Thanks

• Posted

All I did to get rid of it wash wash my face with cold water after being in the hot shower. Haven't gotten it since and it was really bad.
  • Posted

my most recent success with what I believe to be perioral dermitatis, which may have morphed into rosecea, has to do with coconut oil.  I have found that treating my skin with  over the counter sulphur soap dried my skin too much, although it did seem to deactivate the breakout.  Then I decided to first apply coconut oil to my face and then use a soap to gently rinse away the coconut oil.  Right now I'm using black african soap.   i was in the throes of a miserable three week battle,  and since applying the coconut oil and rinsing with the black soap i have been outbreak free for a month.
    • Posted

Hi, what coconut oil product did you use and how did you apply to the face?
    • Posted

I purchasesd it from my local whole foods grocer.  I happened to buy Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil this time around.
    • Posted

sorry....answer to 2nd question.  I take a small amount with my hands and apply to my face gently.  
    • Posted

I have been suffering from PD for 6 months now, having used all the prescriptions that my dermatologist suggested, but to no avail.  It has now reached my forehead.  I feel that I am at the end of my rope.  I have just started a 5 month course of tetracycline.  My local grocer has the Nutiva organic virgin coconut oil, which I plan on purchasing today.  After applying the oil, how long does it stay on the face before rinsing it off with the black African soap?  You have given me a glimpse of hope........ thank you.
  • Posted

My perioral dermatitis was cured in 3 weeks. Follow these steps:

1. STOP PUTTING ANYTHING ON YOUR FACE. No makeup, no face wash, no lip balm, no moisturiser, no essential oils, NOTHING. Especially avoid products such as Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment that has a hidden ingredient, Balsam of Peru (or myroxylon), and can trigger perioral dermatitis. 

2. You seriously have to follow Step 1. Although it may be tempting and it might feel soothing to put something on the rash, but trust me, your pores can heal themselves. They need to breathe. 

For about the first two days, it will seem like things are getting worse. Your dermatitis may get really red in your skin's attempt to release all the toxins. It will start flaking up, and this is a sign that it's healing. DO NOT SCRATCH/EXFOLIATE IT. Just leave it, and rinse only with water. 

3. In three-or-so days your body will have detoxified its skin, and you will now see improvements with each day that goes by. My perioral dermatitis was cured in 3 weeks. Avoid touching it with your hands.

4. After the perioral dermatitis has subsided, try to stay as natural as possible with your skincare regime. Water is the best cleanser. 

I can guarantee you, this is the most natural and effective treatment. 

• Posted

Hi, Thank you so much for the instructions.

I have stopped using anything on my face for 4 days. The rashes around my mouth have disapeard, However sad I have the rashes on my cheeck have got worse and I have developed new rashes on my forehead sad .... I was wondering if you ever had rashes on your forehead or on your cheeck? 

The other thing is that my face has got exteremely dry and I don't know should I apply any kind of moisturizer or not.

I would apprecite if you can give me any information that can help me. 

• Posted

Hi,

I have had perioral dermatitis for 4-5 months. Dermatologist misdiagnosed so I was using a steroid cream for a few wks.

3 days ago I stopped using all products (I had tried sooooo many natural remedies with no success). The last few days the sting has gone away & around my chin is not nearly as red. I do a few times a day wash with aqueous cream. I don't really know if this is helping or not. At times it seems to settle the dryness and moisturise, other times it seems to cause flaking. 

Thanks for your advice above - zero therapy does seem to be the only thing working so far!

also tried changing toothpaste to a herbal one. Not sure if this is helping or not.

you said it took you 3 wks - did the PD completely heal?

any other advice ?

my PD started at a similar time to me falling pregnant so I'm wondering if it is related to that hormonal change too! 

• Posted

hi karl. I suffered for PD also for 4-5 months. Elidel is the very new cream for this type of skin problems (you need to have prescription ~35 EUR). It has no steroid in it. So will not cause yo-yo effect. Drink a lot of kefir, water, take probiotics and most important contact endocrinologist, this type of skin problems are always related with hormones imbalance. In my case it was estrogen imbalance. After 3 years I still do not use any cosmetic, or very, very rarely. Make sure there are natural, if you use any, absolutely no SLS. But if you are pregnant, I dont think you could take anything except changing your habits. My gynecologist said I would expect reversion if I would get pregnant. Best of luck.
    • Posted

I completely agree. When I had a flare up nothing helped. Not even Avene or La Roche-Posay's thermal spring water spray which is meant to help everything. My face would feel like it was on fire especially at night when I was sleeping it would start when my body got warmer. And sooooo incredibly itchy I wanted to rip the skin on my face off.

All I could do was take an antihistamine hoping that some of it was allergic (it would help slightly sometimes) and do nothing else but let it pass. Even adding sensitive and non-allergenic creams like sorbolene and aqueous cream would burn if I put them on.

Cool water would take away the heat for a little bit. Unfortunately, it is an ongoing condition where flare ups are the worst. I've had mine for 3 years now with plenty of flare ups. Trying to control they're frequency is the battle. You cannot touch the face (hands are full of bacteria and friction ie scratching/rubbing makes it worse). Make sure your sheets, pillows and hair are clean (everything that comes into contact with the face).

Watch make up!! Absolutely no make during a flare up. No matter how embarrassing! Watch the age of your make up. Continued use of old foundations would set mine off. Especially oily heavy foundations. There's a lot of contributors to perioral or periorbital dermatitis that you must be aware of and what triggers yours the most. A dusty environment could also trigger mine.

Now mine just settles on the right side of my nose and stays a tiny bit irritated or red and sometimes dry and flaky. I use a very sensitive face cream morning and night (very light-weight and oil-free - especially during a flare up). A pharmacist with skincare experience who has her own skin care line told me to avoid oil and oily products on the area. I found that helps. But I don't ban myself from all face oils which I love, I just use them on the rest of my face and moisturise with a light moisturiser just on the affected dermatitis spots and the rest of my face will be dryer and require the heavier oil moisturisers. The lightest sensitive moisturiser I have tried is Olay's skin lotion which I use the spf one (sensitive) in the day and night one at night.

My nose will be occasionally itchy (almost mildly daily). I scratch it softly and try not to focus on it too much. The more I scratch especially with unwashed hands/nails, the itchier it would get. Then a flare up would start. As I said sometimes a strong antihistamine might help as I have a lot of allergies in general and those who have more skin allergies or just sensitive skin are more likely to get it. Using antihistamines daily also kept majority of my allergies at bay. Including my face which seems to flare up a lot less now if I remain on them and continue my oil-free light skincare regime. I also have allergies to animals and to my beautiful cat which if I hug and kiss too much would also trigger a flare up. Hence, I've also learned to keep my kitty away from my face and just cuddle him without face contact.

Corticosteroid creams are not recommended. Although they relieve the itch initially, it is correct to say that it can worsen it. Because the condition is bacterial based (hence people going on tetracycline antibiotics commonly during a flare up), corticosteroids slow healing rate and worsen bacterial infections. So just be careful with use.

Make sure you see a GP who has experience in the condition. Those that don't will try anything and everything for the flare up not realising that it could worsen it. I was lucky to have a GP who knew what it was straight off the bat.

That is the best advice I can give from my own personal experience in the 3 annoying years I have shared with perioral /periorbital dermatitis. You learn to live with certain things I guess. The key is staying positive and hopeful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.