Perioral dermatitis- there is a light

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

Firstly I have been reading lots into this condition after being diagnosed with it 6 weeks ago. Thought I would share some tips and what happened to me.

So it started as small bumps around my chin i though just a break out so I tried a tea tree toner this obviously didn't work it spread around my mouth. I went to my gp and he diagnosed me with POD. I was given an antibiotic cream which I used and it flared up like you wouldn't believe it was so red blistered and covered the bottom half of my face. Honestly it was shocking it then started to appear under my eyes. I called the doctor he told me wash it off and prescribed me doxycycline for 4 weeks. First few weeks it didn't really change then it started to dry out and flake like sunburn. Week 3 and 4 it was fading. I went back for a review and as it was faded but still there I was prescribed another 2 months which I'm half way through now. It's almost clear but you can still see the outline and faded redness. While I was taking tablets I used nothing on my face no make up no moisturiser for first few weeks then towards the end of the first month I used avene tolerance cream this helps so much calms it down loads and I still use this now. I changed all products with SLS in; shampoo, body wash, hand wash and toothpaste is now flouride free. I changed my make up brands to paraben and SLS free so basically organic as possible. I also avoid dairy.

I wanted to post this as I know this isn't life threatening but it effects you mentally and it's so disheartening when you think it will clear quickly with tablets and it doesn't. All I can say is be patient and know that it will pass and it will get better.

I also wanted to ask is anyone has tried the avene skin recovery cream and if it helped? I have the tolerance cream but just wanted to see if the skin recovery was better?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am glad you have had success with Doxycycline.

Did your doctor, or the Pharmacist warn you to keep out of the sun while you are taking Doxycycline & use a high factor sun cream?  It makes you skin much more sensitive to the sun.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi ya,

Yes he did it, was on the label too. I just hope it doesn't come back after the course is finished.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.