Peripheral neuropathic pain, sometimes unbearable

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello,

I suffer from increasing nerve pain, started from the big toes in both

feet, then during 5 years spread unto lower legs and even started

in the hands now. It is the "tight sock" feeling constantly plus

needle feeling and electric shocks sometimes.

Only Tramol plus Gaba gives some relief, but i maxed out on this

medications.

Can anybody recommend other drugs or supplements ?

Thank you, Chris

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi chris

I have recently developed tingling then burning in my hands and

feet and I am having tests at the moment to try and find out the

cause. I've tried various drugs, probably not trying them for long

enough, but have been taking Mirtazapine at night for the last

few weeks. I started on 15mg and now upped the dose to 30mg.

I have to say that I haven't felt significantly better on the higher

dose but I do get a good nights sleep. On the Mirtazapine forum

there are many mixed opinions of this medication but of course

everyone is different.

I hope you find something to give you relief. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello Woodie,

it's a consolation to hear i'm not alone with this problem.

I also have troubles sleeping, i'm using anti histamine for that - works fine but

timing is critical. If i take it in the late evening, the effect lasts

too long and its hard to get up the next morning.

Thanks for your idea, i will check it out.

• Posted

Hi Chris I'm so sorry for your pain, but I sure do understand. I'm also maxed out on gabapentin. I'm going to be trying to switch over to Lyrica very soon. I've also had lts of epidural steroid injections in different parts of my back to try and help with pain. Some have worked, some haven't. I've also been given a pamphlet about a spinal chord stimulator that is implanted gor pain relief. Are you a diabetic? What tests have you had done? Be hopeful Chris, I know it's hard!

• Posted

Hello Mari,

thamks for your answer - i tested negative for diabetes, i assume my

former contact to pestcides may be the cause.

I'm trying lyrica now, it seems to work in quite high dosage. Since this med is not covered by my insurance

it's a costly enterprise.

I dont know about spinal cord stimulation, i had a lumbar operation

because i hoped it would solve the problem but it didnt.

In your case i would first try electric stimulation on the skin along

the nerve routes - i ordered an affordable machine from ebay and will try this

out soon.

Thanks again and let me know about your progress.

• Posted

How is the lyrica working out for you? Any nasty side effects? I hope I can take it with no problems (I don't mesh well with most meds). I'm not a diabetic either, and the neuropathy is one of my biggest problems. It seems to be progressing so darn fast. Are you having any issues with dry eye or mouth? I recently had a lip biopsy to see if all of the crap is from Sjogren's.

Do you ever have places on your body that randomly get really hot , or do you wake up at night with the neuropathy pain in your arms and hands? I know we have to stay hopeful. I'm guessing you got a Tens unit. Let me know how that works out!

• Posted

Hi Marie

I wondered if you get sudden hot sweats. These can come on

for no apparent reason such as when I am sitting reading. 

Last week when it was hot it was absolutely awful.

• Posted

Hi. I don't get hot sweats like that very often. Sometimes at night I will wake up feeling like my core body temp is really hot and I will be really sweaty around my chest area. Once in awhile I will get a sensation of being overly hot but I won't be sweating a drop. Do you have a problem being out in the heat also?

• Posted

Hi MariC

As I said previously, last week when it was very hot, Staffordshire, 

I really didn't know what to do with myself. Even my knees were

sweating. This burning has only come on in the last six months since

I retired. I'm waiting an appointment for a nerve ending test and

have just done a 24hr urine test that the neurogolist requested.

I carry on as I have always done putting on makeup in a morning

but very often my face is glowing before I've even finished.

• Posted

Gosh! I understand the glowing for sure. A shower (especially if hot) makes my face very flushed. I don't wear blush at all any more. Your nerve tests should start getting you some answers. I've had 4 over the last few years. A skin punch biopsy also helps in diagnosing a nerve disorder. I hope you get some answers and some relief.

Ps: I understand hot, as I live in Texas! smile

I'm here to chat anytime.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and comments Mari. Being new to this site

I hadn't (naively) thought how widespread we all are!!

• Posted

Sorry to jump in your conversation! But I too suffer from sudden heat flashes! Not menopause, been there done that wink I can be in a freezing grocery store, and all the sudden my face and head are dripping! Make-up has been out of the question sad No rhyme or reason, they happen when they want 24/7! I love in Florida, so it's always hot. Thankful for central air, and an understanding hubby!

• Posted

Hi Mai,

yes, the lyrica seems to work, i take it 3 times a day together with Tramol.

Different from Gabapentin (which is much cheaper) it does not cause acid stomach. I also experience this thing is progressing over about 5 years. 

In addition to Pregabalin / Tramadol I take Vit.B and C. 

Also i'm trying Normast (italian meds containing Palmitoylethanolamid), which should calm down the MAST cells. This meds is also very expensive but I'm willing for any cost if this disease could be reduced.

Stress is a good indicator which might be triggering it.

I dont get dry mouth or the other symptoms you told.

Thanks for your encouragement and hope there may be a way out of this, i let you know what helps me.

Chris

• Posted

Hi Liz,

i got not a problem that you descibed, i live in a hot climate as well (Thailand) - the heat just gets to me sometimes and i feel totally powerless and tired by it. But i guess that's just the age.

Sorry i got no good idea to help for your symptoms but i will keep this in mind, maybe i come across something.

Chris

• Posted

Haha thanks for the laugh. U have to laugh. Yes I sweat and drip water sometimes. Not sure menopause or neuropathy and if I sweat so bad why am I not thinner

Thank you guys for helping and keeping a laugh going

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.