Peripheral neuropathy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone has been successfully treated for peripheral neuropathy.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

There are so many neuropathies and the all-encompassing ‘idiopathic’, I was told at least 125 ! Is it in one leg or both and are you diabetic which is the main cause. Quite a few  are caused by medications . Mine is definitely caused by Cipro and Fluoroquinolones and was worsened by Bisoprolol and another antibiotic.

What tests if any have you had ? Some people have had success with acupuncture.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. May I ask you which bisprolol and the dose and for how long you took it for? Why was it prescribed? Are you still taking it? Did it cause the PN? Thanks.[
    • Posted

reread:

Mine is definitely caused by Cipro and Fluoroquinolones and was worsened by Bisoprolol and another antibiotic

It was the minimum dose of bisoprolol. I took it for about three months until my symptoms worsened and I stopped it. Things then went back to the still bad way they were prior to taking it,

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I've had Peripheral Neuropathy in both feet for almost 18 years. It moved into a couple of my fingers about 2 years ago I've been on dilaudid and tramadol for the pain since 2005. I've taken Gabapentin but it didn't work for me. I did take Lyrica and that did work really well, better then anyone major pain meds including the dilaudid I'm on, but the side effects for me stopped me from continue to taking it. Once the nerves are damaged there's no reverse backwards. My doctor ive had for 30 years told me they never put much research into it until recently. Because it's tied to diabetes and more people having type 2 now, more people are waking up with what you and I have and it sucks.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply it is much appreciated. I am sorry these drugs did not work for you. I have pn in bth legs, ankles and feet , moblising is a nightmare.

Can I ask you how the diagnosis was made in your case? Have u had your Vit B12 level checked? 

• Posted

I certainly haven't been. Despite dozens of blood tests and different consultants no cause was ever found, so I've just learned to live with it.

James

• Posted

Interesting to see the beta blocker Bisoprolol mentioned in a thread about Peripheral Neuropathy as that is one of the minor ones of the dreadful and permanent symptoms I developed as soon as they put me on Bisoprolol for VT.

That was 23 months ago, 21 months since I stopped taking any medication.

I recently did a "23 and me" Ancestry and Health DNA test, turns out I have half a dozen genes that make me a "Slow metaboliser" of certain medicines, also mentions NAT2 that further research shows slow metabolising of beta blockers, the result being my body hasn't taken out the previous days dosage as I take the next, so I slowly overdose. One of the results of this is said to be Peripheral Neuropathy.

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I've just discovered this forum and registered. I've suffered from peripheral neuropathy for a year now

(long story) and so far no resolve in sight to my 'unexplained' symptoms.

A year ago I was not on any meds at all, and I experienced a series of numbness attacks that landed me in A&E throughout most of last Christmas.

It affects mostly the right side of my face, mouth, hands and feet.

Completely horrible especially at nights when it seems worse.

As far as I know, it's untreatable. Pain and antidepression meds is all I've been offered.

• Posted

What do you think was the cause of this ?

Were you ever prescribed Cipro or Fluoroquinolones for a prostate, urinary tract infection or anything else. The first symptom is usually tendon pain but much later numbness and other symptoms can appear and not be though to be connected with a long ago prescription.

It is well documented on this site if you search on Fluoroquinolones

• Posted

No I've never had any treatments over last few years.

The only given explanation has been stress & anxiety and some hypertension

• Posted

Is it constant or does it vary as it presumably would as you would have stress/anxiety free periods when your BP would also go down. Do you monitor your blood pressure and are you on any meds for it now?

I had a slight occasional numbness in my left foot and sometimes lower leg for possibly thirty years that did not cause any problems. I put it down to a an old hip injury although my GP disagreed. I once mentioned it to a neurologist who said it could not be anything sinister as I'd had it so long.

Suddenly in May 2015 over a couple of days it worsened and I had difficulty in walking unaided.

• Posted

Hi Derek

Sorry to hear your issues, at least we realise we arent the only ones suffering from nerve damage issues, its some consolation.

My symptoms dont change except worse when at rest and tends to be worse in evenings.

Pain varies, sometimes seems to flare up and is even worse for a few days.

My stress and anxiety has much improved since my Mum went into care, and my BP is controlled with amlodopine.

Yet, the burning, numbness, nerve pain continues, skin sensitive to temperature either feels frozen or burning hot! and the discomfort of having a numb face and half a mouth is pretty awful.

Enough of the winging tho, its the strength inside that keeps us going isn't it.

I do hope there's more progress made on neuropathy issues as its hard to face something that remains undiagnosed with no future prognosis we can officially deal with.

Keep moving and be as fit as we can be, is perhaps all we can do to combat the worry and the discomfort we face every day.

• Posted

Mine is not typical neuropathy as I don't have pain, tingling or burning sensations just the numbness. I even had one neurologist suggest as I walked in to his room that it was CMT. I told him that I had the genetic tests and electrical conduction tests that had not shown that. He responded with did they do the right tests and interpret them correctly 😃

Have you tried acupuncture ? It seems to kelp some to a degree. For the past six weeks I have been taking CBD without any noticeable effect nor sleeping any better.

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I've just discovered this forum and registered. I've suffered from peripheral neuropathy for a year now

(long story) and so far no resolve in sight to my 'unexplained' symptoms.

A year ago I was not on any meds at all, and I experienced a series of numbness attacks that landed me in A&E throughout most of last Christmas.

It affects mostly the right side of my face, mouth, hands and feet.

Completely horrible especially at nights when it seems worse.

As far as I know, it's untreatable. Pain and antidepression meds is all I've been offered.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.