peripheral neuropathy due to benzos

Posted , 11 users are following.

Does anyone have peripheral neuropathy caused by drugs? Thanks.y

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Carolyn. I have not heard of that but perhaps it is possible. I have idiopathic small fiber neuropathy and there is no cure for it. Have tried the Gabapentin and all sorts of things like Lyrica and the only thing that helps me is the hydrocodone to relieve my pain from it. It took months of tests and no findings. Took a skin punch biopsy to find it. Do a lot of google research that shows studies. I have had the neuropathy diagnosed in 2011, but had it for years and they couldn't find what it was. I was on Benzo's for 20 years, just got off earlier this year. I had the neuropathy before and after the Benzo's I am sure. I have been on pain meds (low dose for over 20 years for degenerative disc and joint disease. 5-325 of hydrocodome with tylenol. Hopefully someone else can give their input. I am not a doctor and can only go by what I experience. Enjoy your day! Ruby S

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I too was on benzos for over 20 years and these sadly caused neuropathy amongst a lot of other things. I am now off them and hope to heal but dr says it may take 12 months. I wish you well too, take care. x I was on lyrica sister drug of Neurontin but neurologist discontinued it as it caused a movement disorder.
    • Posted

I too am a sufferer due to benzos and statins according to my endocrinologist. I had to stop the statins. 
  • Posted

Hey carolyn- just letting you know I developed neuropathy immediately while tapering off the drugs... i was on them for 9 years and I think it alters your gabba receptors.  There are many folks on benzo/ z drug discussion groups i've spoken too that have experienced the same effects.

• Posted

sorry to interject but can you please PM the contact details of the other groups. Thanks.
    • Posted

Which benzos were you taking and for how long can I ask ? TY
    • Posted

Hey jhow21- 

I was on all kinds of z-drugs (mostly zolpidem- z drugs are cousin to benzos) for 9 years and Temazepam for one of those years.

I do t know if I’m allowed to list other forums on here.. but a quick google search for benzo forums will land u a bunch - biggest is b buddies. There u can contact others for further info.  

What symptoms do u have? And what drugs were u on?

• Posted

Doesn't it seem strange to you that if the drugs (you don’t say which ones) caused the neuropathy it would only start when you stop the drugs? It almost seems like whatever you were taking controlled the neuropathy.

• Posted

Hi, I just came across this when I searched for "neuropathy and benzodiazepines". I stopped taking Klonopin 4 years ago and after a hell of a withdrawal that basically incapacitated me, I was left with a few lingering symptoms, and neuropathy in my feet it the worst.

It flares when i am stress or when I eat MSG, but it is basically a problem 24/7. I have been online today trying to get some info about it as I was supposed to try wall climbing today and I had to pass it up because of the pain.

If you get any info, please let me know.

• Posted

Hi Liz. i had to go get tested at a neurologist. Had 32 tests and then the skin punch biopsy that took 6 weeks to come back. That is when they told me I had the idiopathic small fiber neuropathy. It is very painful and will always get worse due to no one knowing what is causing it. I have to be on pain meds probably for the rest of my life for this. My suggestion is going to a neurologist and having them diagnose this. There are so many things that can cause neuropathy and maybe you have one that can be treated. I wish you the best of luck. At least if they test you it will give you a little closure on why the pain is there. Burning, numbness, stabbing and the more you use your feet the worse they feel most of the time. Please keep me updated. I would start with your primary care doctor and go from there. Enjoy your day! Thank you, Ruby S

• Posted

HI I have just read this and sounds alot like what I am going g through, could you tell me what medication you are on please

• Posted

Hi Susan. I tried everything. The gabapentin made me crazy and didn't really help. Took all the Lyrica and other one. Now I am on hydrocodone beings mine is the idiopathic one I go to pain management every month and take 5/325 4 times a day. Without these I would not be able to do anything. At night I take tizanidine 4 mg. They made me do the injections in the back but that just made my back worse beings I have degenerative disc disease. Don't get me wrong.,.,. I hurt every day but the hrdrocodone works for me. Has for 10 years. Takes about 50% away.

Oh and I was on Lorazepam 3mg a day for 20 years. Got off last year. If the benzo is the cause then I am doomed. The idiopathic small fiber never goes away. Wish you the best. Ruby S.

• Posted

yes i believe they play a large part in my neuropathy either directly damaging nerves or triggering an autoimmune illness that does. i was benzos and z drugs on and off for almost 9 years and started experiencing the sx as soon as i tried coming off them. hard to prove, but enough anecdotal stories from benzo users on forums have me convinced they play a role.

• Posted

I was taking Zolplidem, Eszopiclone, Temazapam for almost 9 years. Developed neuropathy and now take Lyrica - which doesn't help much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.