peripheral vascular disease

Posted , 13 users are following.

i was diagnosed with peripheral vascular disease 18 months ago,i had stopped smoking and taking aspirin and simvastatin,i have started smoking again,i go to the gym on the treadmill and bike how will this help ?and I know without a doubt you will tell me to quit the cigerettes so hard though when I was a smoker for so long.I have been discharged from the hospital because the claudication in my leg hadn't got any worse,this was holiday smoking that continued but have cut them down in half whats your advice please

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have suffered from this disease as well since 1998. I too find it difficult to stop smoking. But.... if you still want to smoke then choose a brand that is less destructive from additives like Camel. That's what I smoke and I been fortunate to get away with it for over 10 years. cheesygrin
  • Posted

smoking, any amount of smoking will not help your health situation.  I know it's hard for some people to stop.   I started smoking at age 14, I'm now 85.  15 plus years ago, about to celebrate a birthday I asked myself what I would like for a present. I answered: 'hows about a dozen more healthy years' and with that I looked into my handbag, took out a half pack of cigarettes and said , OK, when you finish these 'butts', we are finished.  By the way, I smoked 4 to 5 packs a day! I was ready and when you are truly ready giving it up will be easy as pie! Depends on how much you like yourself.....................good luck.  Jules
    • Posted

It's tough. Roosevelt smoked 4 pks/ day. Oppenheimer (scientist-atomic bomb) smoked 5 pks/day. It's tough. One of my friends, a big smoker said one day- "I quit". He did. Maybe someday you and I will do the same.

• Posted

Ann: I've had it for about three years. Take Cilostosal (sp?) 2X/day, aspirin, Simvastin for Cholestrol, go on treadmill, 1/2/mi/day, have pain a lot. Elevate feet when possible. Several people have said this. It works. 

I fear the day they have to clean the artaries, and use screens to keep them clean. I still smoke. That's a big no-no. I'm trying but it's tough. Good luck. Joe

• Posted

Hi Jo should I be exercising more. I swim once a week and walk 3 times a week forabout 40 mins
  • Posted

Smoke or not smoke...who knows. ..Ive had to curtail my normal if some what vigorous lovemaking style because that often triggers the muscular spasm...guess where? Specifically the upper thighs

I now always have that in the back of my mind.

I believe the muscles have some sort of electrical charge going through them and this a the muscle changes during periods of activity or even sleep just short circuit. You ignore it and hope it doesnt get worse...or have a soda water to drink down an Endone or oxycodon. Trust me...if used only for this pain. ..then you wont becomr addicted. Always be advised by your physician in drug use. I have had a number of injuries where spooning is the best alternative.

• Posted

Hi Ann I was diagnosed with PAD last June. I am still trying to quit smoking but agree am so hard to quit. I have cut it due by half though and will try to do better. I swim once a week and walk 3 times a week. I get calf pain After 5 mins sometimes and other times I can walk back much easier I also get pains in legs and numb feet. I too am looking for some answers on how to improve this. Do you get pains in legs and numb feet?
  • Posted

Hi Ann I'm sure exercising is the best thing. That's what Gp told me and to stop smoking I've cut down by half but really must try harder.

• Posted

Hi Ann I have the same and have found it difficult to stop smoking I've cut it down by half but still kills the calfs when I walk. Please let me know how your walking is? Lorraine

• Posted

its really hard to quit smoking i was diagnosed with pvd last feb age 48 was 46 when the cramping in the hips started my walking distance was 46 seconds before i was crippled with claudication doc diagnosed me with arthiritis.

tests confirmed 95% blockage in my iliac artery angioplasty done ballon no stent (july 20) my hips are cramping again and lower leg cramps awful disease to live with

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.