Permanent itching after shingles

Posted , 26 users are following.

it is over a year ago that I had shingles and the itching all around my eye and forehead has never gone away. I was told a few times at the eye clinic, that it takes time, but has anyone else suffered with this for so long??!! I use antihistamine cream and eye drops, but I think I have this awful problem forever! Luckily it isn't all day long but it IS every singfle day and makes life fairly miserable a lot of the time!

4 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jane

I have had pain and iching for 2 years now its really bad at night the doctor told me that it will never go away but. He gave me this cream and it does help abit its called

Capsaicin that might help

• Posted

Suzywelsh, I tried Capsaicin but it didn't help me. I guess all people are different. I have had it for going on 2 years still going to the doctor. I use Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel, 1%. It seems to settle it down right away,but it is a prescription. Good luck

• Posted

Hello Jane

I believe we will have this condition for a very long time.  I feel this everyday on my scalp!  I can’t be under the sun!  The only relief I get is getting under the shower with cold water helps the itch!

I have tried it all!  Some people get bouts all the time which is worse!  It’s been four month since I got shingles.  Two nights ago I felt a little blister and it really scared me!  I don’t want to get those blisters again!  My daughter said it was two small ones and in the morning after I washed my hair it was gone!  So I believe it will just be the itching which is enough!  Try putting cold packs around the eye and forehead!  Pls keep in touch and we can talk on this if it’s ok with you 

Hope it does get better!!

• Posted

I had shingles in my right eye and right side of my forehead and scalp the week of Christmas, 2016.  The itching in my eye and forehead and scalp is almost unbearable.  I've used everything I can find for it and use eye drops continually for the eye itch and pain.  The shingles completely scarred my cornea and I am now about to see a new doctor to go ahead and go with a cornea transplant for my right eye.  I said I would never do this but I am tired of not being able to see.  I pray they can help me.  The itching is so intense it wakes me many times during the night and is intense in the mornings when I first get up and at night as I'm trying to relax.  We moved from West Texas to Alabama 9 months ago so I am now in the process of finding all new doctors.  However, no doctor has been able to help me in any way with the itching and pain.  i am planning on getting the new shingle shot as I certainly do not want to have these things again but am now seeing several sites with side-effects of this new shot.  I was so excited to think they might actually have a shingles shot that would work.  I have already had the old shingles shot and so did my husband but he recently contacted shingles again for the second time.  He also has just gotten over a case of Bells Palsy which we were told is caused by the same virus.  I kept praying someone would come up with a treatment for my right eye that would not require a transplant of the cornea but so far there is no new treatment.  Originally, my right eye just hurt really bad and itched uncontrollably.  The eye physicians could only see blisters all over my eye and then I broke out with the rash on the right side of my forehead and eye and scalp so we knew what it was.  Whatever you do people, get the shot if you're over 40.  Please, if anyone knows of anything to help the itching, let us know.  I wake up sometimes with blood all over my forehead and scalp where I scratched during the night in my sleep.  Thank you.

• Posted

Jane I have the same thing and the same results off and on every day. I take Lyrica 75mg twice a day that seems to help. I dont get much encouragement from the docs that this will change. I also take a daily Valtrecs. The docs say I may need to take that the rest of my life just to keep the virus from coming back, hopefully. So I guess we all have a battle to deal with, with this shingles thing. They say water helps the itching. I may try that. eye drops are available also. But help minimally also.

• Edited

I had a bad case of shingles in 2020 I continued to have severe pain after the rash cleared. After about 18 months I had a stemwave put in my back to help with pain It did help but did not go away entirely. However it did not help the itch that drives me crazy. The shingles were on left side below breast line around to mid back. The whole trunk of my body itches and I scratch till my skin is sore Doctor has put me on antihistamine and it helps but never goes away. I selfishly pray for a remedy when I know others are in much worse shape than me.

• Posted

not sure if you will see this, but maybe it will help someone else if not. I am hoping you figure it out how to find relief by now.

I cannot recommend emu oil enough they make eye cream with it. It is a very healing balm. i used emuaid max on my shingles i did not see an eye warning but i looked up eye creams with emu oil and they exist ormaybe just the pure oil

ive also used what’s called wisemen healing balm for my shingles and that is coconut oil, frankincense, and myrrh and may be compatible to use around your eye or that company that makes it may have something for eyes

hope this helps someone and God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.