Permanent sterilization/ hysterectomy

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just out of curiosity how many of you have had a tubal ligation or hysterectomy? I keep seeing that trauma can trigger LS. I had a tubal ligation in the beginning of Oct and by the beginning of Nov I was having symptoms of LS. They had to do the incision by my pubic bone instead of belly button which is where they initially tried. I'm just curious how many other women's symptoms developed after either of these procedures.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Interesting question!

I didn't have tubal ligation but I did have benign cysts removed from my fallopian tubes just before the time the vulvar LS appeared (I was 54, just beginning menopause).

I did have an LS rash at the back of my neck for years before that though. My dermatologist told me that was often the case - the condition existed in more than one part of the body.

• Posted

I didn't have any problems before hysterectomy at age 46. I feel I got "conned" into having complete hysterectomy because I had fibroids causing extremely heavy bleeding, and a "suspicious" (by ultrasound) ovarian cyst.  Both of these problems could have been treated individually and much less invasively.  I had to have the abdominal incision because the doctor said "Oh, why not?" (What a dope I was.) They did find severe endometriosis too, though I had no symptoms - and took the second ovary out against my wishes because it was "starting" to develop cysts. Thankfully no cancer. No pain control afterward either. Anyway that's getting off the subject. The answer is no, I did not have any vaginal or vulvar or anal problems before the hysterectomy. Within a time frame of 3 years I had extremely bad symptoms, VIN Stage 2, problems requiring hormone and steroid treatments and now at 59 I'm in the same boat.
  • Posted

yes i hada tubal 22 yrs ago ls started 14 yrs ago so i dont think mine is linked but who knows how hormones react and take to react
  • Posted

I had a hip replacement that went wrong 2009 and that was also when LS symptoms started
    • Posted

Me too. Food stress (food allergies, food sensitivities) was a big one for me. Have had to cut out many foods - dairy, flour, wheat, sugar especially - they all caused inflammation.

As well as pushing myself too hard.....

• Posted

Hi there. I had a hysterectomy in 1998 when I was 28. In 2010 I noticed a white patch around vulva area. One patch turned into many, now the whole genital area is white. I had a biopsy and was diagnosed with Lichen sclerosis.

I have injections every three months. I noticed that some of area seems to be returning to normal.

• Posted

i have been told stress is a big factor mine came just 18 months after my separation from my first husband .
  • Posted

I had a tubal ligation and two conizations in my forties. But I had LS well before that. It started moving quickly around menopause, age 50. If I had to blame only one thing, it's stress, no contest.
  • Posted

Had a hysterectomy at 50 then diagnosed with ls a couple of years later.  I think I had it early in my 20's though.  Yes I'm sure it is stress related. 
  • Posted

Hi yes i have had a tubal ligation  about 2o years ago.
  • Posted

Unrelated or not I find it interesting that the majority of the responses have had surgery of some sort in the pelvic/vaginal area!
    • Posted

I think it kind of proves your original point, Benetta. Surgery = trauma, then Koebner effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.