Permanent Tinnitus from flying

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to the site. Hoping to chat with anyone who might have had a problem similar to me. To cut a long story short, to provide a bit of background I have had permanent tinnitus since a short 1 hour plane journey 11 years ago. I've learnt to deal with it.

Fast forward 11 years and on Fri 1 Aug I told a short 30 minute domestic flight. Since waking from sleep the morning after, I was diagnosed with Otitis Media with Effusion (inner ear fluid). It seems I wasn't able to relieve my ear pressure on plane's decent/landing and while sleeping overnight, a negative inner ear pressure sucked fluid from my ear walls.

that fluid hung around for about 14 days but 21 days on, I'd say there's about 5% still left. Immediately after that flight I had fullness in my ear, headaches, tight feeling in my face and occasional dizziness. What's doing my head in most is that the tinnitus I've always had increased in volume too. In the evenings and overnight it is at its worst. What I had for about days 1-14 after the flight and not since day 14 as much is pulsating in my ear. It was worst at night but also when I was indoors in smaller enclosed locations. It was a very fast drumming pulsating, about 20 times faster than the average heartbeat. I've seen my GP (doctor) 3 times and I've never got referred to ENT. Also, done two courses of antibiotics called Amoxycillin and Distaclor as there was a bit of ear redness seen when then inspected. My appointment today (day 21 since flight) the redness is gone.

overall, if anyone has experienced anything like this or similar I'd be interested to know your experience mostly about the tinnitus problems from the flight.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Everyone, thank you for the replies. The long term tinnitus I don't really have an issue with. What I have a problem with is the increased tinnitus volume since my flight 21 days ago. With the otitis media with effusion (ear fluid) settling down, I'm praying the tinnitus goes back to the same volume it was pre-flight 3 weeks ago.
    • Posted

It should settle down, I had a perforated eardrum a few months ago after blocking up on a long drive (also poking it a lot to pop it) and it caused a spike, it was a complete pain but it did fade down again.

Anything that impairs your ability to hear and messes with your ears will often cause a spike.  When you already have tinnitus you generally become more sensitive to auditory changes.

• Posted

Hi Steve, thank you for the reply. Apologies if I sound ignorant but what is a spike? I assume it something to do with perforating your ear drum but never heard the term before.

My 4th GP (doctor) visit today and still not referral to ENT. I will keep pestering until I get it. 21 days on, the fullness and similar stuff has improved a lot. That first 9 days were murder. I'm confident my tinnitus will get back down to my pre-current problem volume. The worst was when in a smallish sized room, especially when lots of people were there and talking. The drumming/pulsating in my right ear just kept going so fast. Far too fast for it to be hearing your own heartbeat but annoying none the same. Thankfully, that doesn't really happen now but it was scary as hell.

• Posted

A spike just means when you have a temporary spike in tinnitus volume.  Happens to the majority.  You can wake up one day and for no reason the volume has spiked, or it can spike because of something wrong with your ears.

I guess that the term references what it would look like plotted on a graph, like the tip of a triangle, a jump in volume that will go back down again.

Your ears and your perception will do funny things when starved of outside noise.

• Posted

Agree to those spikes,and to the low days can't do either,yesterday mine were so damn high ,now today both low go in the head,miserable day if mine stays central ,I can ignore the tinnitus,but spikes are bad,lots get them what it does,you just hope it drops.Terrible condition to suffer from.
    • Posted

Thanks folks. I've just woke up and it's louder upon waking up. My right ear itself feels like a fullness/heavy sensation. I'm convinced there's still a bit of fluid in there knocking about. Steve, thanks. I sincerely hope it's a temporary spike but can a spike last 22 days and counting?

also, i'm doing my Masters degree dissertation at the moment. The library is out of bounds because of this. Too quiet. It's the gym cafe which has wifi. The screaming kids at times doesn't bother me as much, just to have some sort of background noise to mask this I'm grateful for.

• Posted

Unfortunately yes it can, it takes time to settle back down again.

When you're in a very quiet environment you might be better using a little sound enrichment until it settles back down again, rather than the distraction of screaming kids when you're trying to concentrate.  Something like noise, water sounds.  I've got loads I can send you so message me here if you want any, I'll point you to my YouTube channel and you can tell me which ones are the best.

• Posted

Hiya Steve didn't know it was you,glad you got both Jacqueline and Skankadoo sorted.job done.X
    • Posted

Hi Marlene.  It was my cunning disguise of adding a 1 at the end of my ID that threw you.
    • Posted

Got me,you fellas what you like,and they talk about us females,????

Good one if I could give you a star I would,but maybe my 21102 woulda,coulda ,fooled you or not,?your bright.

• Posted

Cheers Steve but I found a waves video on youtube that I put on headphones. I've made my top bed pillow a thin one so I can hear it. Yes, plenty of distractive noises to tone it down :o)
    • Posted

What a performance ,just shows how inept I am with mechanicals

Wrote a conversation and couldn't find a button to send it

• Posted

hey; you make it sound as though something sinister is about to happen

Carry on, it may frighten the tnt to go away

• Posted

We have a one day restriction for new members, part of stopping spammers from filling the pages with rubbish.  I'll get it lifted for you.
    • Posted

You may be sorry you said that ! I am the opposite of a NERD

Starter------ how do i send a conversation, or has the  button now been revealed ??/ LEEEAAARRRNNNEEERRR  at large

• Posted

I started a conversation with you, there should be a red 1 at the top of the page on your inbox.
    • Posted

It's my age ,Ha Ha wish you young ones would think of us grannies,keep it simple,like Jacqueline.Bet old Steve had good laugh to,with T you need to laugh at any chance you get.Probably get it wrong again,so to me it's Scan,can remember that Easy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.