Permitted work rules

Posted , 6 users are following.

I hope someone can clarify the permitted work rules??? If I am on a three day trial to see if I can work or not do I have to tell the DWP? I am waiting for an ESA reassessment. At the moment I am in the support group as I have hae Fibromyalgia for ten years and have had shoulder surgery last October. And I want to get a job to get my life back to normal. I know one can earn up to £115 a week whilst on ESA If I was offered this work before the reassessment can I sign myself off????

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

  • Posted

    Hello Pollmadoll,

    I'm long retired, so sorry I don't know the answer to this, however I'm sure that someone on here will be answering you very soon.

    Good luck with your trial for work.   

  • Posted

    This pollmadoll

    I would give dwp a call as I was in the wrag and needed to fill out a work permitted form sure it's the same for support group.

  • Posted

    Hi, i'm in support group and i know you can do permitted work for an unlimited amount of time as long as you don't go over 16 per week and earn more than £115 per week.

    you don't have to sign off esa. Also if you do decide to go back to work and it doesn't work out ie, you can't cope with it health wise then they will fast track a new esa claim because you have been on it before. but if you sign up to permitted work you wouldn't have to stop your esa anyway. even if you get in wrag group of esa you can do permitted work for a year to whle still claiming to see if you can handle it or not.

    Good luck.


  • Posted

    Poll you definately need to contact the DWP before starting permitted work. I sure there are proceedures to go throuh before you start as indicated by one other poster.
    • Posted

      Thanks for making this clearer . They are still interviewing other people so it is very speculative at the moment. The catch is that in order to earn more than ESA I will need to do many more hours. As I have no idea if they are going to say I am fit to work or not I need to have something waiting just in case. It is such an uncertain place to be in at the moment . I did get very tired and my shoulder hurt doing the trial. Where we live there are hardly any jobs so I am grateful for anything .
    • Posted

      At the moment it is only for three days and is only £80.

    • Posted

      I fully understand your situation as there is nothing guaranteed with ESA & PIP anymore.

      However, remember if you do start work and sign off ESA you can claim Working/Child Tax Credits. As you are at a disadvantage due to your fibromyalgia you could also claim the disability element which can add up to £2,970pa or £57pw to your award. You will need to work a minimum of 16 hours pw. When I was working I received £113pw in working tax credits alone!

      I would strongly advise that you seek out an online benefit’s checker and see what you would be entitled to in Working/Child Tax Credits plus possible Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. You might find you are just as well off as if you did permitted work and you are not limited to 12 months. If you do sign off you have 12 weeks to trial working. If it is too much you can return to ESA without making a new claim and you will receive the same rate as before.

    • Posted

      Hi Anthony,

      Please can you tell me where I can find more info on this 12 week trial without having to make a new claim for esa? I have tried to find information on permitted work but not found much detail and not heard of this 12 wk trial. I am on a career break and in support group of esa.



    • Posted

      Hi Rose

      If you Google '12 week linking rule ESA' you will find plenty of information. Basically it means you can sign off ESA (to work) for up to 12 weeks and if you become ill you can return to ESA at the level you received before.

    • Posted

      Thanks so much for that information there is hardly anywhere to go to to find out except the CAB.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.