Permitted work worried DWP will tell possible employer I am on ESA

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just wondering what experience people have had going from ESA support group and PIPS standard living to easing themselves back into permitted work. My biggest worry is the DWP informing my new employer that I am on ESA, if I decide to,take the job it is on a zero hours contract . At the moment I have been told it will be a twelve hour week. I have looked on the internet to find out if I should be worried.  I really need to know if I can work or not? I am still waiting for an ESA reassessment and finding work where I live is near impossible so I do not want to jeopardise this opportunity. If I fail the reassessment I will need to have a job waiting. But not knowing when it will mean I can only speculate finding work again. I am a single mother  with two young sons to support. I am happy to tell the DWP of my intentions but am apprehensive of them telling my possible boss. I hope someone can reassure me

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Poll, you posted a very similar question to this a few days ago which people answered for you. I'll bump it up as the answer would be the same.

• Posted

I am aware I asked a similar question but this time I am asking others what experience they have had. I have read on some forums that permitted work can have a negative affect if you are about yo be reassessed . So I am beginning to think I should declined the permitted job offer and wait for the reassessment 
    • Posted

Yes it can indeed have a negative affect and you do have to be careful. Even if you're not due to be reassessed. It can backfire on you depending on the reasons you're claiming ESA and what sort of work you're going to be doing.

• Posted

I would agree entirely. The way the DWP look at it along with the assessors is if you can do some work how can you argue that you are unable to do any work (which is what ESA is claimed for - cannot do any work).

It doesn't stop there either. Doing voluntary work can and is used against you when claiming ESA.

• Posted

Good point but permitted work and voluntary is set up by them to ease us back into work to get us off the benefit system in the end but we have to go through that initial transitional process to know what we are capable of? Also I have been waiting for over three months for a reassessment already .
    • Posted

Agreed but that doesn't mean it won't go against you in your next assessment. Depending on the reasons a person being on ESA in the first place. Never trust DWP....

• Posted

I have just got off the phone from talking to my JOB CENTRE job coach who has advised me to try a week out then tell them to see if I can do the job. He reassured me that they do not tell your employer unless there is a problem and as I will be self employed to put my address down as employer on the PWI. He agreed that there are a lot  of confusing messages out there. I know what a shambles the DWP is and that is why I desperatley  want to get my life and independence  back as we all do! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.