pernicious anemia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with pernicious anemia last month and have had two weeks of shots three times per week of b12 injections, now got to have them every three months, does anyone take any other supplement, as I feel a little better in myself but have been told I need to take folic acid tablets and iron tablets as well by a friend of mine whose family member has the b12 deficiency as well, as well as having the three monthly injections, I'm not sure if I need to so it ups my energy levels and lack.of tiredness.

Jules

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jules, it's always a good idea to ask for a printout of your blood test results, so you can see where there are deficiencies. If the Doctor is going to be doing a repeat test to check your levels after your first six injections, it's worth asking them to do folate, ferritin as well as the B12. If you begin to take supplements before this blood test it will mess with the results. Once you decide to supplement start gently, your body is having to get used to B12 levels being higher. A lot of people recommend a general multivitamin tablet along with boosting your iron. Good luck with everything. Marion
  • Posted

You need to discuss this with your doctor. Always check any supplements first with professionals, some meds react with others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.