pernicious anemia Always getting sick

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my names Emily I'm 22 and was diagnosed with pernicious anemia 4-5 years ago. I get b12 shots every. 3 months but sometime every 1 -2 months dependent on how I feel.

My question is does anyone else with pernicious anemia get sick a lot e.g flues and virus? And when you do get them do they hit your harder and longer then other people around you that get them?

Thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes Emily, this is due to the compromised immune system. I have found the information from the Pernicious Anemia Society (EU) on Facebook has a very good protocol for the co-Factors that you need to take so the B-12 functions properly in your body. They are over the counter items that support B-12.

i have also study some natural aids when I get sick.  I have purchased natural herb books but check to make sure each is safe to take in combo with my regular supplementation. It feels like I take a lot of pills but 8 years in, I am upright and functional. When diagnosed, I was fatal,I was bedridden, lost the use of my left leg to neuro impairment caused by the low B-12, lost my short term memory, my bones were thin and breaking,  and I had been through 12 doctors that only diagnosed me as depressed and GERD.  They had me on PPI Meds and Antidepressants that both are causes of B-12 and bone density deficiency. 

Today, I have taken up new hobbies.  I will never be what I was but, my issues have improved tremendously and I refuse to compare my old self with my current self.  PA is a rollercoaster of feeling good and not so good. Make the good days very good and the bad days the best you can. I take each new day as a gift, I hope my words answer some of your questions.

• Posted

Hi Emily, yes I do find that I'm more likely to catch things, but I was much worse before my injections began. My doctor has been very supportive, and I'm now getting an injection every six weeks. This has made a huge difference to me, and I am more able to fight off infections and colds. Do you take any other supplements to help you, VitD for example? 

• Posted

Hi Emily

I've had P.A. for 45 years and I have taken 1 Folic Acid 400µg and

1 – Iron Ferrous Fumerate 210mg tablet every day for more years than I can remember as these work together with the cyanocobamalin B12 I have injected every three weeks to make healthy red blood cells.  

In addition, because I had two thirds of my stomach removed at the age of 17 I also supplement daily with Vitamin C, Omega 3, Q10, a Probiotic and Brewers Yeast.

I also have the "double whammy" of having Type 2 Diabetes but on the whole I don't think I am susceptible to being sick more than anyone else because of the P.A. and I'm still "clivealive" at 75.

If you are in the U.K. you are more fortunate than many I correspond with in that you are able to vary your frequecy of B12 injections but really you should be getting them every 8 weeks according to the N.I.C.E and B.N.F Guidelines although sadly many of us need them more often.

Mention this to your doctor and also ask him to check your Iron and Folate levels.

I hope your general health improves as we move into Summer and the weather improves.

I wish you well 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.