Pernicious anemia and b12 deficiency help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m looking for some advice on pernicious anemia and vitamin b12 deficiency. I am a 28 year old female. About 2 years ago I went to the doctors with a cut on the corner of my mouth, they prescribed me antibiotic creams and thrush creams but it didn’t clear so they took my bloods and the results came back as slightly low in b12 and iron so they prescribed me some vitamins which I took but they didn’t really make much difference.

After this I just left it and didn’t go back to the doctors but started noticing more symptoms. I have pins and needles in my hands and feet which are always cold, very dry skin on my face, an extremely itchy and flaky scalp, hair loss, hair seems to be greying quite rapidly, angular chellitis that comes for a few month then clears and then comes back again, a constant sore tongue, sometimes get a numb tingling sensation in tongue, burning sensation on skin on legs, flaky fingernails with vertical ridges, long spells of constipation followed by diarrhoea, spells of tiredness, low mood but I suffer sever mental health issues so this is normal for me.

A couple of weeks ago I mention it to the doctor that symptoms hadn’t cleared and seemed to have worsened so they took my bloods again but this time the results have come back all clear and no further action needs to be taken yet I am left with all these symptoms... I am very confused. these are the test that my doctor requested:

CRP, full blood count, ferritin (CO_VIT=No), hba1c, liver profile, magnesium (MG2+), renal profile, throid function test (CO_PITF=No

(CL_TME=0))

would these tests pick up low b12 or PA. Should I request to have my bloods redone or are there particular tests that I need to request? I’m certain that I have some sort of b12 deficiency related illness. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi, i am by no means an expert in B12 deffinancy and there are lots more knowledge people on here. i was diagnosed about 16 months ago and had many similar problems to yourself . i was so fed up of feeling ill all the tine but also such random symptoms In fact i felt relieved when i eventually got a name for it as i felt people did not believe me.

i really hope you get some advice from this forum so you can plan what to do next. x

• Posted

hello!

thank you for taking the time to reply. i just understand how i can have these symptoms but bloods cam back normal its so frustrating, if you dont mind me asking what tests did they use to diagnose you? was it just a full blood count? x

• Posted

yes it was unfortunately i don't have the actual readings..i had never really heard of B12 prior. There is a man called Clive on tnis forum who is very knowledgeable on the subject so hopefully he may respond to your posting.

what is your doctor intending on doing now?

regards

• Posted

Hello .I have just had my three monthly B12 injection .I had flakey nails ,and one or two more bits ,I know when i am due ,because I start to feel tired ,I also take a B 12 capsule daily . buy them from H&B. You are probably stressing out .which doesn't help. ask your doctor loads of questions ,tell him ALL the problems you are having ,and .if you could have a B 12 blood test,

• Posted

It seems not everyone thinks of B12 deficiency as a possible cause. The tests that you mention don't seem to include a B12 test. The CBC and ferritin tests may show that your iron levels are normal, although I just had a panel of tests run and the only thing that showed anemia was an MCHC test. I would personally request testing for B12 deficiency (at least a B12 blood test, but also folate and MMA and IF if your doctor will do all that) since you had it before and many of your symptoms seem to align (but I'm not a medical professional). You could also ask about autoimmune testing.

• Posted

Hi Amy. Some 5 years ago, being diabetic, I have a blood test every year. The doc told me my b12 count was 95 (somethings). He said this needed to be over100 . Since then I have b12 injections every 3 months. I have never had any symptoms before or after the 95 deal. It all seemed odd to me and perhaps not much help to you. Regards

• Posted

even with the b12 injections you may find that you get those awful symptoms. tiredness, sore calve muscles, dry skin, ridged fingernails, sore tongue, flu symptoms. i started injections age 18 and still suffer!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.