Peroneal Brevis Tendon Surgery - Post-Op

Posted , 24 users are following.

I’m ten weeks post-op from Peroneal Brevis Tendon surgery, and had been healing fine and progressively getting better. I haven’t re-injured the foot or ankle, and PT has been going smoothly with no problems at all.

The past few nights however, I’ve been waking with incredible aches at my incision, in the middle of the night.  It’s not tender to the touch, but extremely achy. It goes on for several hours, and nothing seems to help... I’ve tried ice, elevation, and massage. I’m surprised because I didn’t expect this, and wonder if others have experienced the same? It’s really disheartening to be two-and-a-half months out, and having an entirely new pain. 

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 8 weeks post-op today-frayed left peroneal tendon repair, and the incision is still not healed. I graduated to partial weight bearing in a boot with crutches but when I went to full WB, the incision oozed a lot. Dr had me get off my foot entirely again until it healed. Prescribed an antibiotic cream and a collagenase ointment-alternating one at night and one in the morning. The incision seemed to be getting better but now there is something white bulging from the incision. Any thoughts on this? Of course my Dr is out of town for 2 weeks now. Thanks in advance.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, i had tear in peroneal longus. My incision took a very very long time to heal. I had surgery in nov 17 and even now It still looks pretty red, and i have scar tissue problems. My body didn’t like dissolvebale stitches and was rejecting them. I had reaction and had to take antibiotics. White bulging up stuff you are seeing maybe actual stitches coming out. If that is the case your doc maybe able to pull them out and you will be good to go after that. It also can be just your body reaction to stitches. With antibiotics it should go away. Be careful with scar tissue. Start working around as soon as you can. I waited for incision to heal abiutb80% and my scar ended up being completely stuck sad very hard to unstuck it.
    • Posted

Chris your luck sounds about like mine with regard to things going awry just as my doc would go on vacation... My concern with your description is that you mentioned the oozing... Sounds like your incision got infected. The white you mentioned, could be further infection. I’d worry at this point about staph. If it were me, I’d let his office know what you’re seeing, and perhaps a nurse practitioner or a nurse can check your incision. I don’t want to frighten you but staph isn’t something to mess around with, and it’s essential to get meds (antibiotics / and possibly having it drained and cleaned by the doctor or nurse.) in a timely manner. Hope this helps and I’m sorry you’re having such a rough go of it. 
  • Posted

Hi Donna,

I’m almost 7 weeks post opt. At week 6 my dr removed my cast and told me to  start partial weight bearing useimg one crutch and put me in a air cast. I have been taking baby steps around my house I’m able to go up and down stairs. I also have another small tear in my right foot and I worried about doing pt for my left ankle since I’m having a lot of aches and pain on my right side I spoke with my dr. He gave me a brace but it not working I’m getting bummed ?? about this whole situation. I start pt on Thursday I’m trying to remain positive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

I’m so sorry you’re feeling down. Your course of recovery sounds very similar to mine. I can tell you that I bought some Doc Miller compression socks and they worked wonders! The brace will help but for me it was only in certain places, but the compression socks helped me the most. Make sure your doctor gives you the okay to wear them... Unless there’s a specific problem with your foot I can’t imagine them saying no. Make sure you wear them on Both feet, as you would a pair of socks! It’s actually bad for your circulation to wear just one. That will provide you with more stability. I still wear them when I run because it helps with foot fatigue and with shin splints. I wore them during recovery because it helped keep the swelling under control, as well as more stable. They come in a variety of styles and sizes, so be sure you check before ordering. Ask your doctor (his or her nurse or assistant should be able to tell you over the phone) which level of firmness would be best for you. And, you can pair that with your brace... Not the most comfortable feeling in the world, but definitely will make you feel more sure-footed! 

I hope that helps! And don’t worry, I promise you that it gets better!!! And the worst of it is truly behind you at this point!!! At least with regards to your left foot which I understand to be the one you’re surgery was performed on. Are you planning to get surgery on your right foot at some point as well? 

• Posted

Donna you have been super helpful through this recovery! I'm curious if you ever had setbacks? Im 7 months post op and tried to run last weekend. My ankle was ok, it felt a bit weak but i could run. Well, by that evening my ankle and foot were angry and ive been hurting ever since. My dr indicated that he wasnt surprised that im hurting and to ice it and take anti-inflamatories. Did you experience pain once you tried to run again? I'm not sure my ankle will ever be the same:(

• Posted

Hi, I'm so sorry I somehow missed your message!

And yes! I'm a bit farther along than you, and still experience bad days. I can't tell you medically why this occurs except to say that this may well be the new normal for people like us. I suppose the important thing to do is to focus on the fact that we are capable of running as a result of this surgery. My secret hope of course, is to one day wake without any stiffness and just be able to go for a run without my ankle complaining afterwards at all. And I'm still glad that I got the surgery. Hope you're doing better and with less (or no) pain and swelling!

• Posted

DONNA .. I WROTE TO YOU A WHILE BACK . I HAD BREVIS TENDON REPAIR AND ANKLE STABILIZATION . I AM WONDERING HOW YOU ARE DOING? YOU TOLD ME THAT YOU WERE A HAIRDRESSER/COSMETOLOGIST. I AM STILL STRUGGLING. I AM 10 MONTHS POST SURGERY. IM FRUSTRATED AND GETTING DEPRESSED. MY SURGICAL FOOT IS WARM WHILE MY LEFT FOOT IS COOL I HV PAIN ON THE OUTER RIGHT SIDE OF FOOT. MY LEG ACHES ABOVE MY ANKLE... KEEPS ME UP AT NIGHT. I GET SHARP SHOOTING PAIN TO MY TOES. I FIND IT DIFFICULT /IMPOSSIBLE TO EXERCISE.. CANT SKI OR JOG.. MY WORK HOURS ARE REDUCED .. IM LOSING TIPS. I NEED HOPE. RECENTLY SAW NEW DOCTOR.. HAD XRAYS AND NEW MRI.. SEEING NEUROLOGIST SOON!

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're still experiencing pain and problems this far after surgery. I'm now nearing fifteen months post-op, and I'm pretty much back to normal. Someone else was telling me that they were having problems similar to yours after foot surgery. I found this article with a study regarding continued pain...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4357126/

But if you're anything like me, you've read everything you can find regarding your situation. Seeing a neurologist seems the logical next step, as what you're describing (the pain in your toes, feeling of warmth on one side) all leads me to believe perhaps your nerve endings didn't heal properly.

When my foot was healing, in the few months immediately following the surgery, I would get what I can only describe as Shocking-type pain that would occur randomly. The doctor said that was nerve endings reconnecting. Interestingly, my friend who had similar experience to you, never felt those sensations... She said she only remembered the constant pain and swelling. But the stinging sensation was a totally separate feeling, and you'd know if you had those.

My only guess could be those nerves didn't properly heal. My friend had to undergo stimulation therapy and more physical therapy. She's nearing a year and has some improvement with therapy, but she's not without problems. I sympathize with your situation, because in our field, we rely on our ability to stand for extended periods of time. Please keep me posted as to what the neurologist says. Hoping you'll be able to make a full recovery with some additional therapy!

• Posted

Hi. I am looking for help i had the same tendon repair 6 months ago. i just feel so frustrated. i can go 2 weeks and feel fine then my foot feels so sore that i get even get out of bed for the next 2 weeks. Nothing seems to relieve the pain. I just want to know that this will eventually go away. i just want my foot back, my life back. Please help

• Posted

I'm so sorry I'm just seeing this!!! I hope that by now you've seen a vast improvement and are no longer discouraged! It really does take a long time to fully recover, and get back to normal... In my personal case it's a new normal. I still get swelling, and it's somewhat stiff right when I wake up. These are all small items in the grand scheme of things... I do not regret having done the surgery. Truly hope you're feeling remarkably better by now! You are certainly not alone in this!

• Posted

Hi, I Just have a quick question . I had surgery on my peroneal tendon over a year and a half ago, now i have pain after running or walking/standing for a long period of time, swelling, redness, and sensitive to touch. Also it seems I cannot stay in water for a long period of time, even showers affect my foot by making it burn turn red and also swell. Do you have any recommendations?

• Posted

Hi Vivian,

I have not experienced what you've been experiencing. I have noticed I'm unable to stand for prolonged periods of time without some swelling and pain... I had thought by now the worst would be behind me, and compared to prior-to and just-after surgery, I'd say it is. If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest you see your doctor... I can't imagine what would be making water hurt your foot at this point. My only thought is that you're experiencing some degree of swelling, and the water is painful as a result. But please check with your doctor to be sure. Hopefully by now that issue has been resolved!

Take Care!

• Posted

Hi I injured my peroneal brevis i believe and when you tore the tendon did it bruise up or was there no bruising ? i hurt mine last saturday and theres a specific site of pain thats throbbing. could you walk in the days after the incident?

• Posted

Hi!

No, I didn't have any bruising at all. I did have noticeable swelling which became more pronounced as time went on... The pain level increased as well. I would feel the throbbing sensation, and it just was incredibly painful to walk or flex my foot forward or back. The area surrounding the ball on the outer side of my ankle, was swollen and felt a bit like a water balloon. The tendon I damaged runs just under that protruding knobby little bone, and that was where the tear was. but that entire area was swollen and

to this day, still swells as times.

Only a good doctor will be able to tell for sure. I was misdiagnosed for months because x-rays didn't show the tear. But I was persistent and eventually got the doctor to do an MRI, which showed the tendon was badly spliced. An MRI, if you're able to get one, will tell you definitively what's going on.

Best of Luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.