Peroneal stabilisation surgery this week

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am having stabilisation of my peroneal tendon onnwednesday, I am so nervous a I've read loads of horror stories about this surgery, I'm in panic mode about coping with a cast again, no independence and I have no downstairs bathroom I really don't know how I will cope and I'm such a worrier. I'm so scared I will make it worse but I have no life at the moment from the injury I can't walk longer than five minutes, can barely drive, praying it will work

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am sure your surgery will.go well. just make sure you do as they tell you too and dont try to do too much on it. good luck for op

• Posted

I am sure your surgery will.go well. just make sure you do as they tell you too and dont try to do too much on it. good luck for op

• Posted

Hi Sabrina.  I've replied to you before, sorry if I sound like a broken record.  Of course you are scared, you're having surgery.  Surgery is scary, no question about it.  But don't be afraid of after the surgery.  Don't listen to people who want to tell you about all the bad things, it's a very common surgery and you will be fine.  I am now 11 months from my surgery, I cannot even remember the difficulties and pain pre-surgery.  Now I walk with absolutely no pain, have 100% range of motion, my ankle feels strong and occasionally I have a little swelling but I'm so close to being healthy it's scary.  Do exactly what your doctor tells you.  I had a cast for 2 weeks, no weight at all.  So my husband got me a knee scooter and I did great.  Kept the leg elevated almost all of the time so I had no pain, no throbbing, nothing.  When the cast came off I got a boot and started walking.  Two day after the cast came off I started physical therapy.  Insist on PT, it was great. During the boot stage I could walk (limited amount, but still I was mobile), I could drive (boot was on my left foot), I could even travel some.  No pain, none at all.  After the boot came a brace (and regular shoes) and 4 weeks into that . . . walking with no aparatus of any kind.  Really, don't worry about it after the surgery is over, elevate and ice, follow the doctors instructions and don't listen to the negative people. Two months from now you will wonder why you didn't do this sooner!  Good luck on Wednesday, it's all going to be fine, you'll do great.

• Posted

Thank you so much for taken the time to reply, it's good to hear success stories

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.