Peroneal tendon recovery - overdone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, all.

I've had peroneal tendon pain for five months and after a PRP injection in August decided to do an exploratory surgery on October 12. There were no tears or subluxation. The surgeon said my peronius brevis had "flattened" so he folded it back on itself and tubularized it. Additionally, he removed low-lying muscle belly and did a tendon release - which I understand means he cut away some damaged tissue.

My first week after surgery went wonderfully. Three days after surgery the doctor said I could begin weightbearing in a walking boot and this went well until seven days after surgery, when I did a little too much activity. I was helping with some farm work, which required some bending and lifting of about 20 pounds.

After twenty minutes, my leg felt fatigued so I stopped. I didn't have any sharp pains at the time, but noticed some blood had leaked out of my suture. Since then, I haven't been able to really comfortably bear weight, like I did right before that moment. I'll have about a 2/10 pain when I stand on my leg for more than a minute. Its been a week now. It doesn't hurt at rest.

What are the chances that I really messed up my recovery process? Any possibility that I could have unhinged a stitch in the tubularized tendon? I'm super frustrated because my progress had been going well. Is the pain that I'm experiencing just part of the regular road to recovery? Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

You could have very well popped your stitches or undid something the surgeon did in there. Best to call and they should do an E-ray on you just to make sure. I fell on my foot after having the same surgery , a little more done with mine and I was fine. Hurt like hell but Ok.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for responding! I did go to see the surgeon and he didn't suspect that anything major had been undone in there. I still feel like I'm way behind in my recovery though, because of the set back. Still really can't tolerate standing for longer than five minutes. Hope that soon the healing starts to kick in and I can be more active.

• Edited

You're welcome, Mike! Its such a long recovery!! I was a bit shocked at how long it took me to heal and then actually to feel decent enough to start walking.

The doctors make it seem like its nothing! lol

Good luck. I hope you start feeling better soon!

• Posted

Hi Rose. Can i get your opinion on something else? I'm now about nine weeks post surgery but I'm just barely walking around. It seems like it's so easy to overdo it and cause pain to myself. I worry that this pain is indicative of a deeper problem. Am I crazy? W hen I do a little too much and feel pain the next day it sends me into a depression. I'll recover in a few days, only to have the same thing happen again. It seems like i never make any solid progress. Is this a normal healing process? If you have any words of advice from your experience I would really appreciate it.

The surgeon says i have no restrictions in what i can do and even encouraged me to try a jog.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I go back to what I said before. Everyone's healing process is different. Has your surgeon do another set of X-rays? MRI? Anything to follow up for the pain? I find it comical that some doctors think you can just go job ! Quite frankly even after 2 yrs I still have pain in that ankle! I still have fatigue like you said and I still get very uncomfortable doing certain things.

I recently went to an outdoor concert on a mountain and I literally felt every rock and pebble under my feet. My ankle couldnt handle the unevenness or the ground and at one point almost went down from being in such pain. So yes, everything your experiencing is normal.

Has your surgeon done a X-ray to rule out a break or tear in there ?? I would simply call your doctors office and tell them that you would like to see your surgeon and get a set of X-rays or another MRI.

Your depression is very real . I had it. And I know a few people have had it after surgery.

All I can say is be your own advocate with your doctor! Make an appointment and tell them when you make it that you want a set of X-rays to be done this time because you are experiencing so much pain.

Also, you should be in PT now. Hopefully that has started for you.

Good luck and get to that surgeon and tell him something is not right in there!

Take care,

Rose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.