Peroneal tendon repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have some questions about my surgery. I am three weeks in and have had a cast on. Today I got my cast off and a cam boot put on. Is it normal for the cam boot to feel uncomfortable and hurt ? I am using crutches with it but the doctor told me I could try without. I was hoping to feel better. 😔

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes . It felt like it dug into me the whole time.  Nothing is comfortable during the process . 
  • Posted

I've had a cam boot on for about 8 weeks already.. unfortunately my tenor in a cast was only for about 6 hours so I spent the last 8 weeks in the mood at no weight-bearing. Only as of yesterday am I starting to do weight bearing and relearning to walk again with that ankle.

To be very honest I spent probably the first couple of weeks figuring out how to get comfortable one of the things I found was doing it bare foot was not very uncomfortable and even using traditional socks was also uncomfortable. One thing that I did to help me with it was I started using casting sleeve material which was very open and cool and kept the temperature down. The other thing was as my boot came with a couple of additional pieces of neoprene and I was able to wedge it with some trial and error between my foot in the boot walls on the areas that were aggravating me. The only other thing that was really irritating as where things were starting to scab up at the incision locations once the scabs came off I could almost barely tell that it was there. Of course the issue I have now is it feels weird not to have it on as I've had it on my foot for so long

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth; I feel like an authority on the peroneal tendon since I've had issues with it for 8 years and have had two surgeries. Yes, when you start walking on that cam boot it will be difficult and painful. It will get better with time. My recommendation is to start walking on that foot asap so you don't get scar tissue. When you feel the blood rushing down, stop, ice and elevate. It will take a while.

• Posted

HI Elizabeth - I had a Bimalleolar fracture with displacement on 7-17-17 . Surgery on 7-27, Staples out cast on 8-7-17. Cast off boot on 9-1-17 with full weight Bearing. I tried to get out of the boot . Was wearing compression sock and using a Cain . Felt like I am doing good, can see a little improvement everyday day . Granted my ankle would get sore after a hour or two of walking so I elevate it when it gets sore . Doctor said I can spend time out of the boot but any prolonged standing or walking in need to use the boot . I find that since my ankle and foot have loosened up some the boot is not so uncomfortable. I also don't make the straps real tight . I am going to keep working on adjusting it to get it more comfortable. I hope on 9-22 They tell me no more boot . Around the house and to the bathroom I am not wearing the boot. The even up also helps .

• Posted

Dear Elizabeth

Have you considered an Aircast boot as these have built in inflatable inner sections that you can inflate to hold your ankle comfortably tight.

Cheers. Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.