Peroneal tendon repair 7 weeks post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone! I had a peroneal tendon repaired 7 weeks ago. Had a small tear (2mm). Doc also removed scar tissue along the tendon and removed part of calcaneus bone that was causing tendon damage. Overall it doesn’t feel all that bad but I get nagging pain right around where tear was. It comes and goes as it wishes. It is very similar to pain I experienced before surgery so I am a little freaked out. Anyone has/had similar pain? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had tubularization of my peroneal brevis tendon a little over nine weeks ago. I also experience that pain now and again.  Usually after a full day of walking and standing where I haven’t elevated my foot. I thought past six weeks ice and elevation weren’t necessary. Turns out they are. I find that helps some, but for me it’s random pain and usually late at night which wakes me up. The healing process after tendon repair seems long, slow, and intermittently filled with annoying dull aches. 

If you haven’t already tried ice and elevation, that may provide some relief. I think the key is, to not wait too long, especially to elevate. Also I was told to massage the scar tissue daily with vitamin E because the scar tissue will build up around the incision site, causing pain, stiffness, and pulling when you’re walking. Hope this helps! 

• Posted

Thanks Donna! It sure is super slow process. I am triathlete so this has been very frustrating for me. Doc said I ll be able to start running at week 7 but that dull nagging pain stopping me from starting (afraid to make it worse). I have been massaging around scar but will try vitamin E. Anything specific you use? 
    • Posted

I just cut open a vitamin E capsule and rub that in. I do that three times a day. First thing in the morning I use Palmers Cocoa Butter on my feet and especially the scar. The combo has dramatically healed the scar which in my case is pretty ugly and larger than I expected. I was told to work/massage the scar as soon as the cast came off. It was super sensitive at first, but now isn’t bad at all. The scar tissue will definitely make it difficult to flex the foot upward. It makes you think it’s the tendon or incision, but it’s the scar tissue. You don’t need to massage it super hard... I was doing that to the point of bruising. I thought it would be better. My PT said gently massage the scar (just moving the skin at the scar) to break up the tissue.

Doing this after a hot shower helps because the tissue will soften up. That’s when I use the vitamin E. I also soak my foot in warm Epsom salt twice a day and that helps with the aches, then immediately massage in the Vit E. 

Also I just bought a CP2 ice pack for the ankle because it works better than an ice bag. It ices the side and ankle area at the same time. My PT told me to do my exercises as soon as my heat and Vit E massage regimen. Then follow up with the CP2 pack and elevation. That routine has helped me tremendously. 

• Posted

Bought epsom salt and vitamin E. Going to give it a try. Have high hopes since it helped you smile thank you very much for sharing!!! Hope you will fully recover soon! 
  • Posted

Hello Im knew on here. Im going to be having the same surgery you did. Sorry I can't answer your question. Wanted to know if your doctor had you in a cast? Mine said after 2 weeks I get a cast for 6 weeks.Im scared!! Im trying to get this job and they might call me end of may first of June. It involved standing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.