Peroneal tendon repair surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

My name is Beth, I happened upon this site in search of others that may have gone through the same surgery or have been feeling the same kind of pain. I am 10 days post op from my peroneal tendon repair. I injured myself at work back in late September 2018 and mistook my pain for a sprain. I continued working and hiking, my favorite past time even though I was in pretty severe pain. I figured it would eventually go away. Unfortunately after seeing an surgeon I was told that I would most definitely need surgery. After surgery I was given a nerve block that kept me comfortable for about a day and a half, when it wore off I was in tremendous pain but feel much better the last couple of days. I'm still on pain killers but I am taking them a lot less now. I find my pain now is more pinching, tingling. I have a lot of pain in my Achilles tendon which is strange but never having surgery before it's really hard to say what is normal and what is not. I am currently in a boot and have my follow up appointment on the 9th, I was told my stitches would be taken out then. I have yet to see my incision, my Dr. told me not to take my bandages off till my follow up. The hard part is I want to see my incision in private because I know that I will be emotional seeing it the first time. I move my toes a lot and keep my foot elevated and iced right now. My first PT is scheduled for the 14th which is supposed to be very minimal to start. So if you are going through this adventure in life or have had the same kind of surgery in the past, I welcome your input. Would be nice to find someone to talk to that understands.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have had a lot of surgery on various bits of my body. I've had three ankle surgeries... a lateral (outside of foot) ligament repair, two arthroscopic surgeries for small fracture and scar tissue (one at the same time as the ligament repair) and in November last year, big Achilles Tendon Z lengthening. This one was literally hell of earth as I have bad sciatic nerve damage so my pain is amplified. My pain relief wasn't adequate so I just last there, staring at the roof, crying. Day 3, the pain was 20/10 and I tried to rip the cast off, which they ended up splitting despite it being a back-slab to allow for swelling. They had to cut my bandages off for the 2nd arthoscopy due to screaming swelling and pain. Obviously, they just cut the dressing, they don't take them off and then re-bandage them loosely.

First, don't look at your wound. It is a BIG infection risk, and honestly, taking them off is very painful. They have to do it and it needs to be re-bandaged exactly the same way. Second, yes, funny tingling, sharp like electric pains are all normal. When you have surgery, the surgeon has to cut through little superficial nerves, it's just them re-generating. It can take months though. Worries are anything extreme, like sudden severe pain that is not like you've been having, severe swelling, severe colour change etc. These repairs are long winded so take it easy. Keep your leg elevated and you can put a cold pack in a comfortable area of your foot - not on top of your worse pain ie. wound - to help swelling.

Hope this helps

Melissa X

P.S. since my tendon lengthening, my pain has been getting worse. An ultrasound has shown abnormal bone growth in my ankle at the front and on my heel bone. Seeing surgeon next Tuesday for review and X-Ray. It could mean more surgery which makes me want to vomit. I have this odd lump on the front of my ankle. It all sux.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the pain your experiencing, honestly the biggest fear is having further issues. I hope they are able to figure out the abnormal bone growth.

• Posted

Hello Beth, Andy here. I feel your concern and pain but certainly and most importantly I can respond about recovery in full! I had the same surgery due to an old athletic dislocation and subsequent scar tissue buildup in my right ankle. Basically my tendon wore out and was re-attached to my fibula above the ankle bone instead of back through the ankle/joint. I was on crutches with a soft, cotton and ace-wrapped cast for four weeks followed by three weeks in a walking boot. When that was taken off I swear I was going to fall down. But therapy, diligence and prayer as well family support got me through those down (tougher) days and now I am fine 9 years post OP! I have not had another issue in all this time. My scar is hardly noticeable. I has 21 stitches and healed well. It is hard to see to this day. The only concern I had was I was told that this foot/ankle would be weaker than before and certainly so versus the left. However I don't feel it as such and have not been limited at all. Though I was 53 when I had the surgery and now 62 some activity has naturally not sustained longer exertion but this is not because of this surgery. I struggled with the pain as you had for about four months until the tendon snapped...but all worked out as noted. Keep the faith and you'll be back in two hiking boots in no time. If you have any questions just let me know. 👍

• Posted

Hi Andy thanks for the response, sounds like you definitely had a more complex surgery then mine. My tendon had come out from behind my ankle and had slight tearing. The surgeon stitched the tendon then deepened the groove in the bone behind my ankle and put the tendon back in place. I'm 34 and a bit of a work aholic so the hardest part is being sedentary. Hoping to be back to some relative normalcy soon but understand I have a bit of a road ahead.

• Posted

Sorry I didn't see that you're already doing the elevate and ice thing. I know how frustrating not seeing your wound is. After my Achillies surgery, I was in casts for 10 weeks. When I finally saw it, it look horrid. It is 16 cm long. It's still extremely painful and I've lost almost all skin sensation or the sensation has changed so my skin hurts. I ended up taking my dressing off myself but that was with my surgeries permission and wad in early March from 27th of November surgery. Honestly, all this takes heaps of patience.

Take care

Melissa x

• Posted

I read your reply to Andy... so the tendon had ruptured?? ... agony. I really hope things improve 😊

• Posted

Honestly, I thought a rupture was when the tendon completely tore like Andy was saying his did. I try to ask questions but a lot of what I know that is going on has been through on line searching. Basically all my Dr. told me was I had a dislocated peroneal tendon that needed surgery to repair, you could see the tendon move out of place every time I would turn my ankle. He did an MRI to evaluate before the surgery that showed slight tearing and build up of fluid. From what I researched his plan to regroove the bone, stitch the tendon, and put the tendon back in place was pretty standard procedure. I had read about Andy's procedure of the tendon being attached to the other tendon as well. From what I have read most Dr.s differ quite a bit on their process for recovery, I see some people saying they waited six weeks to start weight bearing and some that started at four weeks, PT starting multiple different times, which I'm sure varies on the severity of injury. I've currently been out of work since the end of February, been in a battle with workmans comp, not even sure where my job lies now when I get back, all I know is I'm approved to be out till July right now but my position may not still be available to me when I get back. Who knew an ankle injury could completely upturn your life. Sorry to ramble thanks again for input.

• Posted

No problem at all. Ramble away. It's terrible not knowing where you stand re work, recovery etc. May I ask what you do? Are you on your feet alot?

• Posted

I'm an Assistant Manager for my local Walmart. So yes minimum 10 hour days, walking, lifting, climbing ladders, pulling freight, all the things that are not prohibited at this time.

• Posted

So update, I went for my follow up on the 10th. I have to drive about about 2 hours to my Dr. and the drive was not fun. I have been taking as little of my pain medication as possible mainly because I do not like the way they make me feel but also because I'm slowly getting to the point I don't need it as much. I was sore by the time I got there so getting my stitches out we will just say sucked. LOL I had 2 that the skin had grown over so I let a few choice words slip as the poor NA pulled them out. Incision is ugly, and goes right through one of my favorite tattoo's. It is still very bruised and swollen. X-rays were taken to see that the bone that was essentially broken during surgery was healing properly. All looks good so far. I have another week of just moving my toes then they want me to start trying to flex my foot up and down till my next follow up on the 10th of June. They believe by then I should be ready to put weight back on my foot. Plus side I got to go home and wash my foot and lower leg off and I'm now allowed to shower allow it is easier said then done.

• Posted

hiyee! i had an extra bone in my foot that somehow shattered and tore my peroneal tendon. they did surgery on march 27, i was in a walking boot non weight bearing for a week before surgery. was in a wet cast for two weeks, then was placed back in my walking boot for six weeks. now im in a brace and doing PT. PT has helped with the nerve pain and twitching but it still is not fun. i dont sleep very much at all. i work in the OR in 12 hr shifts. so im still not working and not sure when im going to be released to go back. im extremely anxious, and hating not being active. bit im trying to be patient. good luck friend!

• Posted

I am currently non wieght bearing and will be till beginning of June, from there I should be able to start walking on the boot. I started PT last week but they have me barely moving my toes and my foot up and down. Sleeping with the boot sucks. I find myself getting very frustrated by how difficult just the little things are to do around the house while on a scooter but I'm forcing myself to become as independent as possible. I am very anxious about getting back to work as well but I know that until I can lift up to 25 lbs I will not be able to come back. It is hard to be patient so I'm right there with you. Hope you start to feel better soon. Take care.

• Posted

i completely understand.

sleeping with the boot was terrible. it helped my by putting a thin-ish sock on the opposite side and ran it from my toes toward my ankle. i also got bruising on the top of my foot from the boot. so during the day i would put a sock over top of my toes.

and yeah, i work in surgery (ironically) so this is pretty crappy.

thanks, you too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.