Peroneal tendon - surgery if MRI is clear?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, new friends! Happy to have found this group. I rolled my ankle six months ago and had a bad sprain. The only part that still hurts is the Peroneal tendon despite doing physical therapy, so the ortho foot doc says it needs surgery but my MRI doesnt show a problem. He says he may find a small tear or scar tissue to clean up. But the recovery and potential problems i have heard from this surgery are scary! Anyone else ever face this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

**OH boy, you sound like me! I fell 2 plus years ago and had a very bad sprain that never healed. Long story short , I had the surgery to repair the same thing that bothers you, plus tendon repair and arthoscopic on the right ankle.

I will say the healing was ok, but now that I'm suppose to be healed it hurts daily to be on my feet for any length of time. It also feels like little bees are biting me all the time in that area.

My surgeon won't go any further to help or repair more .. said its to soon to do anything.

Second opinion said conrtizone shots again but won't touch first surgeons work.... so that is it. here I am not able to be on my feet for more than 30 minutes wiht out major pain.

Think before having surgery long and hard because once they go in there there's no turning back!

Good luck! **

• Posted

I had surgery on my peroneal tendon about a year and a half ago. I kept having problems with pain and swelling and saw another surgeon for a second opinion. He said I needed surgery and that my ligament that was repaired the year before that was done wrong because it would roll. I was also having severe pain in my second toe. The surgeon said the ligament was ruptured and had to be repaired. I didn't want to have another surgery but felt I had no choice. I wish I would have not done it. I ended up with a huge stage 3 pressure ulcer on my heel and haven't been able to walk for 5 months. I still have swelling where the peroneal tendon is and I am pretty sure i have severe nerve damage on the top of my foot. It can't be touched and burns and hurts all of the time. So I agree that you should think long and hard before getting the surgery because it hasn't helped me but made me worse. Best of luck to you and I hope this helps you some with your decision.

• Posted

thank you for sharing your story, elizabeth buy i am so sorry to hear of the difficulties. what was your original injury that led you to the first surgery?

• Posted

my first injury was the ligament that connected to my ankle was ruptured. I had surgery on that a little over two years ago. Then I kept having terrible pain and swelling underneath my ankle. The doctor did an MRI and said i had a tear in my peroneal tendon. The tendon surgery was about a year later after the first ligament surgery.

How it all happened was I tripped over my husbands shoe going down the stairs.

• Posted

So very sorry to hear this , Elizabeth. I was just out of the hosue today and I didn't dare tell my spouse that I was dying of foot pain! No one believes anything it seems.

My only recourse is I'm trying to get SSI becuause I can't do my job. Actually I haven't worked since my fall.

Im at a stand still... well a sit still!

I can't believe your surgery messed you up this badly. I don't know how you do it with out screaming at people!

I wish you luck !!

Rose

• Posted

Karen my surgery was April 2018.... seems like ages ago! ****

• Posted

i had an extra bone in my foot that shattered and tore my peroneal tendon. my surgery was march 27. the surgery wasnt bad, all things considered. i had a nerve block and felt pretty good. my biggest complaint is going through physical therapy, and trying to get back to work and normal. if you dont need the surgery, i would think long and hard about it in all honesty.

best of luck!

• Posted

i had an extra bone in my foot that shattered and tore my peroneal tendon. my surgery was march 27. the surgery wasnt bad, all things considered. i had a nerve block and felt pretty good. my biggest complaint is going through physical therapy, and trying to get back to work and normal. if you dont need the surgery, i would think long and hard about it in all honesty.

best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.