Peroneal tendon surgery recovery

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hello, I really need help. I had surgery two weeks ago and it seems like it went well. I'm on a splint and surgeon is encouraging me to start using boot and trying to bear weight little by little. This is so dramatically different from last year where I had same surgery but with a different surgeon who was firm on NWB for 8 weeks and then slowly introduce boot.

New surgeon says that early weight bearing promotes faster healing and prevents the formation of scar tissue. Has anyone done it like this

Appreciate your comments,

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi everyone, i know this post was originally posted a while back. i had sever lateral foot pain, couldnt bear weight, and was swollen as all get out. i went to urgent care, where they told me they didnt know what was wrong (even after x-rays) and told me to elevate, rest and ice. i knew something else was up so i went to an ortho doc and after x-rays and an mri...i had an os peroneum that was conpletely shattered and torn either my tendon or ligament (i cant remember). i had surgery this past wednesday. they gave me an array of meds (hydros, naproxen, phenergan, keflex, and a muscle relaxer for muscle spasms). my pain has been tolerable. BUT THESE LEG/FOOT SPASMS ARE MAKING ME CRAZY. i have my first follow up appointment tomorrow. has anyone else experienced these spasms??

• Posted

Do they feel like shocks by the incision?? If so those are the nerves trying to reattach since they were severed.

• Posted

no, im actually experiencing that pain now. they were in the arch of my foot and my calf. the spasms have subsided now!

• Posted

Hello, I hope you're alright, I would like to know what your process was, they put you on cast, boot, how long did you use a cane, At how many months did you start to walk well?

I had that same surgery 3 weeks ago it would help me a lot to know what your process was . Thank you ❤

• Posted

im hanging in there! i was in the cast for a week, put in a boot for 2 weeks, then went in for stitches to be removed and am able to put weight on it now in a boot. ive pretty much lost the crutches within three days. however, with the change of everything. my foot has swollen up, and has been hurting. but they said it was normal. its slowly getting better! i go back in three weeks to be put in an ankle brace and start physical therapy.

how are you handling it? i struggled for a while.

• Posted

More or less because it hurts me a lot, they take off the cast on April 27, that same day I am a month of surgery, but I have many doubts I know that the Cam walker I will use 6-8 weeks, because they take off a screw that I had a long time ago and the bone hurts a bit because they also removed something that had been put on the screw, the only thing I want to know is if the walker called Air cast Air select can be used with a Peroneal Tendon Surgery because before I had my operation they gave me a boot and the doctor told me that I would use that boot but I do not feel comfortable using that boot because I feel that I can get hurt but the boot that I want have plastic around and I feel that I would cover more. Do you know if you can use the Air cast Air select boot after a peroneal tendon surgery?

• Posted

im honestly not sure, im sorry i couldnt be more helpful in that sense! like i said, i have a boot!

• Posted

as long as the boot prevents your ankle from bending and is stiff it should be fine. mine was plastic with air pumps on the sides to secure my foot inside worked fine. i would have ordered one online though rather than paying the crazy hospital markup.

• Posted

that sounds like the exact one i have. im super uncomfortble in it though. i feel like my incision is rubbing on the cushions. i cant tell if its really that or just the nerve pain.

• Posted

Yes Amanda, you can use it. I've had the same surgery twice and that is the preferred boot to be used.

• Posted

just pump the outside one a little less. i only really pumped them up to the fullest when i was going somewhere or doing something i could bump my foot easily. sleeping in it is pretty uncomfortable, but now i have read that its recommended to start moving your ankle sooner than later. so a little wiggle wont hurt... I was golfing in my that boot and it worked fine. dont stress to much its a big incision takes a while to scar over comfortably.

• Posted

thank you! i feel like the biggest baby ever. i handled the surgery fine, but this recovery and since ive been in the boot ive been miserable. and i completely have it deflated. and thats good about moving your ankle sooner, i definitley move it more than the surgeon probably would like.

• Posted

I'm 2 week post op same surgery. got my boot at 1 week appt. Stitches out at 3 week appointment and will be able to drive. And will slowly go weight baring. I had a torn longus and brevis tendon and it was torn from my ankle into my foot. Tendon in my foot was so stretched it flopped over. but you saw my recovery schedule above. although doctor told me 8 weeks not working to make sure I'm strong to go back to work since I'm on my feet all day.

• Posted

I am 1 year now and after this type of surgery my foot feels so stiff at times. im constantly doing stretch movements but it doesnt help.

so there isnt pain like before the surgery but now it just feels like the tendon that was repaired is very tight.

• Edited

Hi Lisa,

On September 19, 2019 I had surgical repair of complete rupture of Peroneal Brevis and Peroneal Longus tendons with allograft. My orthopedist told me that both tendons were completely ruptured, one more recently than the other. He also had to excise a bone spur which probably had hastened the process.

First 4 weeks, no weight bearing.

Weeks 5-8, can begin walking in boot.

Weeks 9-12, out of boot in the house.

12/11/19 Week 13, out of boot, but brace when outside the house.

I am 9 months out from surgery and although I have no pain, which is wonderful, I have a very difficult time walking because I seem to walk on the outside edge of my foot. I have a difficult time controlling my left foot, my left foot turns out; it feels almost like before the surgery. I think it must be very weak, particularly the peroneus brevis. I am afraid the brevis is not functional. My PT says he sees the tendon move so he thinks it is functional, just weak.

Is this unbelievable and incapacitating weakness common?

I feel like I will never be able to wear heels or dance, or hike because I am afraid my ankle will roll out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.