Peroneal Tendon Transfer — NWB whoops.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm 10 days from a peroneal tendon transfer surgery -- brevis completely ruptured, longus drafted to replace the brevis. It's likely similar to nearly every surgery addressing stress tears or other damage to either tendon, so my question can be interpreted broadly.

As I said, 10 days in, I had a fall. Came in from the front deck -- just out there to let the pooch do her business -- and then came in with a wet crutch that proceeded to slip out from under me on the tile floor, naturally on the injured side. My foot, still in a post-surgical splint and wrap, came down hard, with full weight, to break the fall -- at least long enough for me to catapult onto a nearby sofa.

There was pain, but the thing hurts most of the time anyway, and I'd say that the immediate ache was short-lived, and the level of pain in the hours afterward has been more or less on par with the "background pain" that I feel at the incision site most times.

My question is: Has anyone further along in the recovery process had a similar slip-up? And if you are such a person, how did you fare? I think most people who have experienced surgery like this will know that the non-weight-bearing stage (NWB) is a scary time, and every brush with weight -- a slip here, a toe-touch there -- carries the concern that you've now ruined the delicate work of the surgeon and you're slated for more surgery, more post-op misery, and an even longer glide-path to recovery.

Thanks to anyone out there who receives this message in a bottle, and best to anyone on a post-surgical road to recovery. It's no joke!

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.