Peroneal Tendonisis for 18 Months! What should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

18 months ago, I went for a run and came home with a swollen and painful ankle.  I rested for 3 weeks doing other activities and then tried to run again with the same result.  I rested for a month before having an x-ray -- no broken bones and prescribed elliptical.  It didn't get better so I went to an orth about two months after that.  I was diagnosed with peroneal tendonitis got a lace up brace and did PT for 8 weeks.  No real improvement and after several follow up appts, I was sent for an MRI almost a year after the onset of this and was diagnosed with peroneal longus tendiopathy.  I did another round of PT, tried a cortisone injection, and needling.  Instead, my ipsolateral (same side) inner hip started hurting, I was majorly overpronating, and started having plantar fascia pain.  So, 3 months after the first MRI, I had a second (better) MRI which found moderate peroneal tenosynovitis and small partial thickness 1.5cm split tears of the peroneous longus and brevic.  Also, chronic ATL ligament sprain without rupture (old sprains that never fully healed).  I don't really display outward symptoms except every morning my ankle is super stiff and I absolutely cannot run on it or it gets really painful; I can't wear normal shoes because that hurts it too so I'm stuck in sneakers; and now I can't even bike because of the related hip pain.  One doctor told me to do nothing; one wants to do surgery; and another said put my foot/leg in a cast.  I opted for the cast last week as a middle ground but now I am desperately afraid I am wasting another 4 weeks on something that will not work.  HELP!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you really will have to wait otherwise you will not have learnt anything....very frustrating i know.

All the best

Richard

• Posted

I pulled the ligament out of place and tore it so slightly different but was told if the boot didn't work and PT didn't work surgery was the only way to go so I did about a year ago and it's still not 100% was in a cast for 4 weeks and crutches for another 3 weeks reducing it down to one ect. But took a good 6-7 months  to heal to the point it is now. 

• Posted

Even though you aren't at 100%, are you at the point where you can be active?  I was an avid runner and cyclist before this injury sidelined me

• Posted

I used an excercise bike allot and before I couldn't but I'm back on it now and it's perfect however I don't run but I did a jump rope marathon for charity and it couldn't handle jumping at all it was so sore after I was worried I did something to it and I hardly jumped much that nite. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.