Peroneus Brevis Repair Surgery vs. Stem Cell Therapy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I'm scheduled to have a peroneus brevis tendon repair surgery this Thursday and am extremely nervous reading about people's reported experiences. I tore my tendon around 6 months ago. Never really gave PT a full fledged shot. Because of the tear and walking funny I developed plantar fasciitis so it's hard to determine where my primary pain is stemming from. Have any of you tried Stem Cell injections for the peroneus brevis tear? I have to make my final decision on whether or not to do the surgery. Would love to hear from people who have completed the recovery process and are pleased or not pleased with it and if anybody tried stem cell therapy as an option. Thanks so much!!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a repair to peroneus brevis about 5 weeks ago. It was a small longitudinal tear that didn't perforate the tendon. I only had surgery because I also had torn ligaments and cartilage that needed repair. At five weeks out I can put a little weight on my injured ankle. The pain wasn't too bad and the difficult part is managing my day to day life. If you decide to go ahead with the surgery make sure to plan well for having reduced mobility for some period of time. 

I've had plantar fascitis for several years now. Nothing has been effective in treating it. I just try to wear extremely supportive shoes and limit walking. 

• Posted

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your response. Just curious, if you just had the peroneus brevis tear (mine is 3/4 tear) without any other torn ligaments, would you go forward with the surgery?

Thanks!

• Posted

I did some research in the medical literature that indicated a tendon tear wouldn't heal on its own, so yes I would. 

• Posted

I would like to add that it's important to find a very qualified surgeon - someone who specializes in the foot/ankle and is board certified. I used a surgeon who also is on the faculty of a medical school so he is familiar with current research. 

As long as you have a good surgeon and make adequate preparation for the recovery period, I think it's fine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.