Peroneus Brevis Tendon

Posted , 4 users are following.

The following came up in an MRI report of my ankle:

Diminutive or torn and retracted peroneus brevis tendon.

What does this mean? Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The peroneus brevis tendon is on the outside of the foot on the side down towards the small toe.  Did you roll your ankle or take high impact to your ankle. An injury to this tendon is usually the result of this type of injury.  Basically this report means you have strained or torn this tendon.  It needs to heal and usually that is done with a soft or hard cast or a walking boot.  Physical therapy may be needed to strengthen it after it heals.  Tendons can typically heal but ligaments do not heal. Ice, elevate and rest it until your doctor gives you further instructions. 
    • Posted

Thanks! No, I do not recall any serious, or any at all, rolling of my ankle or impact. Do you know how to differentiate between strained and torn?

I am not in any serious pain and have been running about 22 miles per week for the last two and half weeks. Also, I will be seeing my doctor next week but wanted to know if mabe I should stop running!

Thanks again!

• Posted

Your doctor will be able to load the MRI images and access if it is torn or strained.  Possibly the impact from running has caused it.  Personally I would stay off if it and allow it to start healing. If you do not allow tendons to heal they can fray or rupture and that is a much longer recovery process and sometimes it can need surgery.  You could call your doctor and ask if the MRI results have been read yet by the doctor and ask if you should be doing or not doing anything before your appt next week. 
  • Posted

Your question has stumped me! My best advice is go see your doctor, or until then, google it to get an idea of what it is!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.