Perplexing problem

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I've had this bewildering nose problem for many years, but have had no success in getting to the bottom of it. I've been to a half-dozen or more ENTs, but none have solved the concern. I've tried Googling the symptoms to see if anyone else might be experiencing this, but again, no luck. Below is a brief description of this chronic, annoying problem.

I get an excess and constant build-up of mucous inside my left nostril (the right side is fine). The mucous is usually large, white, thick and elastic -- similar to a silicone-like substance. It seems to attach itself to the roof of the left nasal passage and is difficult to remove through normal blowing, etc.As a result, to remove it, I have to resort to snipping it out with small scissors. Afterward, I end up getting headaches, including pressure around my eyes and in my general facial area, which lasts for many hours, and sometimes, days. It also causes my lips and eyelids to feel extra sensitized/tingly.

This is a chronic problem that never goes away and one that I'm having to wrestle with constantly. It seems worse in the winter, and gets a bit better in the summer, but does not completely go away. I've been to many ENTs, but none know the answer to the problem and usually just tell me to use Flonase. Years ago, one ENT treated me for a deviated septum and did a turbinate reduction, but it didn't solve the problem.

Today, I use saline nasal spray often, and an occasional decongestant spray, but it only helps temporarily.

So, I'm a bit at my wits end with this, and don't know how to proceed. It can be depressing to deal with on a day to day basis. I would welcome hearing from anyone who's had a similar problem or who might have some suggestions.

Thanks!

Ray

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.