Persistent Abdomen Issues- IBS? Diastasis Recti? Stress?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last 2/3 months + I've had persistent abdominal issues- despite 4 doctors appointments and clean blood tests I still lack clarity.

Main symptoms include:

-A permanently bloated abdomen, worsens after eating.

-Inconsistent stools- typically constipated/narrow/thin- some fresh blood in stool.

-Some weight loss and lower back ache (weight loss likely due to increased gym exercise and dietary changes- around 5ft-10, 60kg). 20 year old male btw.

Doctor said IBS is the likely cause as I'm not suffering any pain or more serious symptoms. I've tried cutting out food groups and have barely consumed any lactose or gluten within the last few weeks.

I've always had quite a large gap between my abdominal muscles which could potentially be a recti split? When planking I almost see a vertical bulge protruding from the middle of my abs.

The last couple of months have been particularly stressful and I've tried so many things.

If anyone has any insight into this and whether these symptoms could be related that'd be greatly appreciated, as doctors appointments are both hard to come by and mostly futile. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It’s strange that your doctor says it’s likely to be IBS because you are not suffering any pain; IBS causes pain! Did food elimination help?
    • Posted

I meant generally the fact that I'm not experiencing more serious symptoms than bloating and constipation lead the doctor to suggest IBS- as well as the fact that the blood tests ruled out more serious bowel issues etc.

Food elimination has improved some symptoms especially in regards of bowel movements.

I'm still somewhat confused though, apart from abdominal bloating I feel healthy- although the gap between my ribs/ excess or bulge which protrudes when performing planks has been a concern for me.

Perhaps this is all stress related and I'm worrying over nothing, I was hoping someone may have had a similar experience or insight.

Thanks smile

• Posted

Rarely any pain at all. Only noticeable symptoms are a swollen/bloated abdomen, constipation and thin stools
    • Posted

If you have IBS, maybe you are experiencing it mildly. Everyone is different.  My IBS started with constant pain that was mild, moderate or severe and then it calmed down.  
    • Posted

I see what you mean.

Just not sure what the cause of my abdominal swelling could be aside from IBS!

• Posted

The fact that the bloating gets worse after eating, suggests a food trigger which is common with IBS.  You could try the Low Fodmap Diet to identify food problems other than lactose or gluten.  Fresh blood suggests a fissure or haemorrhoid from the constipation.
  • Posted

I just commented on “low or high stomach acid”. I think that will help you, too. Please check.
  • Posted

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine, especially the abdominal gap. I think I have IBS, so do doctors, because of the pain associated with my symptoms, but IBS does not explain all of it. I went to Urgent Care yesterday and doc said I may possibly have a food allergy, so that might be it for you too? Doesn't explain back pain and everything though. I thought mine might be woman related because I have other symptoms there, but I'm very curious about the bulge. I have a bulge along with an indent on the left side right above the lower bloating. Do you have that too? Most of the time I look like the worm aliens from MIB with my stomach being so weird, is yours similar?

• Posted

Yeah sounds quite similar! I feel as though I have a similar bulge/indent but on my right side. It's strange because I'm never in pain really but my abdomen does always look swollen. My abdominal muscles have always seem quite sepeqrate also.

As for stool it's lately been stringy with mucus and constipation- does all of this sound similar to you?

Had 4 appointments so far and I've been trying fodmap related diets with not much luck.

Only reason I'm not stressing is because the blood tests showed nothing serious 

• Posted

Back paln and food sensitivities are IBS symptoms,  Hormones play a large part in women with IBS.  IBS is a possible explanation for these problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.