Persistent anxiety and sleeping pills

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi ladies, 

I've been reading all of the posts for a few months now and i cant tell you the relief it has given me. BUT, i am in finding myself in a pickle of epic proportions.....my anxiety started back in April but i thought it was due to a UTI and antibiotics..i became determined to find out if i was allergic to something and this created more stress and anxiety. Upon reflection my periods have been very light for the past 2+ years but i dismissed it and thought myself lucky actually..so April came and i had quite a few life issues  daughter moving out of home, financial stress, partner moving i to help with money, new job etc and i lost 8 kilos in a few months. My GP told me i was fine and it was stress, i also had a need to purge myself of all my sins to date to most anyone who would listen and that can be a not so good thing at the grocery store...so i went to a functional GP who said i had high copper:zinc ratio and wanted to get my gut checked for Crohns and gut flora. Put me on a strict anti inflammatory diet too. so i eat chicken, lamb, fish, vegetables and some fruit and macadamia nuts, gluten free oats and rice. That's it. No caffeine, refined sugar, other grains, diary, glutamates or high histamine foods...my anxiety kept increasing though, started seeing a psychologist who told me i was 'deconstructing' as was typical of women in my age group..I'm 45. Things were slowly improving in July, i was sleeping like a baby and having regaular ...intimacies with my partner again. then i found out i was pregnant and had CIN3 - pre cervical cancer. i miscarried at 5 weeks which i am grateful for and on sep 1 had surgery on my cervix. but all that time my anxiety was not only persistent but had huge peaks to where i couldn't function at all could barely breathe and feel like to run but get so confused. I believed i had every type of cancer as i had to run to the bathroom sometimes 6-7 times a day. my body was shaking internally most of the time, my face would tingle etc etc etc all classic anxiety symptoms. Enter insomnia! My psychologist told me i was headed towards a breakdown, which scared the heck out of me as my mum had had a similar experience. I started doubting my sanity - honestly!!. I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed Valium as needed- have used 3 times in 3 weeks but i really don't like it and sleeping pills as i started having horrid thoughts of ending it all.my partner couldn't cope with my anxiety and sleeplessness and encouraged me to take both. I did.. then i contacted a menopause clinic  ( that i now know is a bit shady as they send you hormones in the post) and they said keep using sleeping pills every night as it will help with your anxiety but no hormones needed just yet. That was 3 weeks ago. The anxiety just keeps building and now I'm concerned about these sleeping pills. I actually checked myself into a psychiatric hospital last week as i just couldn't manage anymore and those horrid thoughts started seeming like the kindest option for everyone, so to be safe i went in there. OH MY they gave me 2 awful anti psychotic drugs that had me methodically planning my demise, complete with paranoia. So, i checked out yesterday with my sleeping pills and a prescription for setraline that i don't want to use. I'm off to a hormone biobalance Dr tomorrow in the hopes of helping myself. Oh, forgot to mention sore boobs most of the time, couple of night sweats ( in the 'facility'wink, spotting during last ovulation ( never had that before ) and my newest symptom tinnitus at odd times. I really want to get through this without becoming a drug addict or losing my mind, which feels real at times! and just got my period again 3 weeks after last, they are erratic and have no consistency anymore....apparently i react to most all b vitamins as i have a methylation gene to so only b6 and b12 are my friends....

I cant work anymore and my world has become very small, i stopped doing many things in case they triggered anxiety even reading books and watching movies,  walking my dogs seems the biggest thing right now and hunting for answers and help too. but i'm getting depressed along with anxious...i am going to do a course at one of our teaching universities called CBT,Cognitive behavorial theraoy -  it is to  teach me how to manage the anxiety, am getting bloods done on my hormones, I'm guessing my testosterone is zero because sex is the last thing i am interested in, oh and i am itchy all around my pubic hair area and notice a vaginal dryness...this has all happened so fast for me...i need sleep but don't want these pills anymore and have concern about stopping them

does anyone have any advice or help for me please? i REALLY want to get through this somehow

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Vix72, I feel for you! I have many of your same symptoms.. It truly is awful in fact the most awful time in my life anyways, I feel just Flat no other way to explain but flat and very blue and totally exhausted with this crazy train it's definitely a wild ride, that's for sure!!! I have no advice as I'm very much in the thick of all my gawd awful symptoms other than stay strong go with it ride it out don't fight it, stay as natural as possible with diet, and at least walking even when you don't feel like it, walking can ease the HORRENDOUS ANXIETY a bit anyway... And do try CBT for the ANXIETY I had my 1st session yesterday to early to tell if it works or not yet..try some meditation and ANXIETY videos on the internet.. Keep busy and cry if you need to to let it all out!! Hope your symptoms ease up a little for you soon ..😌

• Posted

Hi Gypsy014,

Thanks you for the support. I saw a Dr today who told me to STAY ON the sleeping pills, and a good anti depressant might help..bloody idiot. after she said that i kind of ignored the rest...oh except for when she said if your stilling having regular cycles are AREN'T perimenopausal.....seriously thought what a buffoon....anyway. tapering off the sleeping pills ( hideous things) and taking vitamins... healing my gut and walking and meditating  - when i can....

i hope that you start feeling like yourself again soon...where have we gone i often wonder.....i do feel that my brain chemistry is a bit messed up from whatever..anxiety, MTHFR, Hormones...i just dont know what but it is a huge thing huh?!

• Posted

oh and that HRT wont help me but if she was going t give me anything it would be oestrogen...WTF i think im dominant in that arena and would benefit from progesterone....you really do have to become your own DR these days...
  • Posted

Hi Vix72.

I just wanted to say I'm on Sertraline & I've found it amazing, my anxiety is minimal. When my husband suffered terrible anxiety after a cancer diagnosis he was also prescribed it & its changed him for the better too. Wishing you all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.