Persistent cough with other symptoms for over a year. Any advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been coughing regularly over a year now, sometimes it's worse than other times. I can't remember exactly how long though. I've gotten put on acid reflux medicine and I've had my lungs x-ray'd (came back okay). I can't tell if this is allergies, anxiety or something all together. My other symptoms are a constant dry throat (sometimes itchy as well as my ears) and a need to constantly clear my throat. I also constantly get a tickle that I need to cough. Sometimes it gets bad and puts me in a coughing fit, where I drink water to try and remedy it. My throat seems to get easily irritated. I also feel like I have a lot of mucus in the back of my nasal cavity. I was never "diagnosed" with allergies. As I've never had problems, until recently (last few years), but nothing major. Just itchy eyes/sneezing and that's really it. So I don't know if maybe my allergies are getting worse or if it could be something else. Or a combination of things.I understand some of this might sound like allergies. I also understand it's possible I won't get a diagnosis here, I'm just looking for others that have similar issues and what it was and what you did to help it. (On a side note, my anxiety has been through the roof since the beginning of Covid.) I'm just getting really sick of it at this point.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I had something similar where I coughed a lot a day, dry and itchy throat, deep breaths where I coughed to have them. From what I read about you, it seems to be a great allergy to something, you should find out what it is or go to an allergist, rest assured that anxiety enlarges everything to astronomical levels and the constant cough makes your throat irritate which causes that cough more

• Edited

Thanks for the reply! I think I do have some allergies going on with the itchiness and what not but I think the cough is associated with something else. I've had a cough probably closer to two years. It was never really that bad but it was there and my only symptom. I'm thinking either post nasal drip or acid reflux, like the doctor prescribed me medicine for as a precaution. You are absolutely right though, anxiety makes everything so much worse and my health anxiety really kicked in at the beginning of covid. I'm honestly considering therapy or medication for my anxiety because at this point I can tell myself I'm fine all I want but it doesn't stop. I never had allergies my whole life but I guess you can develop them as you get older. I've had a lot of symptoms happening at once from possibly different circumstances but I'll just have to talk to my doctor and explain everything as well as tell her about my anxiety. I hope something fixes soon because this is incredibly irritating. Thanks again for the reply!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.