Persistent floating stools (otherwise normal looking)?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone. I just realized that floating stools are generally not considered normal and I've had them for at least a year. Likely, I've had them for many years but I can't be 100% certain since I never checked my stools before. I know it might sound weird but I've become vigilant about it only since my neighbor got diagnosed with colon cancer a year ago.

Now I started wondering whether it is a sign of some disease or something. The stools are normally colored (moderate brown) and well formed. In other words, they are not soft, mushy and don't appear to be greasy/oily nor they are associated with any abdominal discomfort or pain. I usually have one bowel movement per day. So it's just that they float in the water (I occasionally get sinking stools but they are infrequent). Sometimes, when they are composed of several pieces, some pieces may immediately sink, while others keep on floating for 10-15 mins. Eventually, they all sink. Sorry for the graphic description but the details may help.

Most of the internet sources point to the conclusion that floating stools are not healthy and may be a symptom of a serious disease. What could this be and is it a cause for concern?

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

why do you look online. you will get very bad and wrong answers. stop worrying about cancer. you need to relax. find a Dr who can explain floating stools.

• Posted

Hi Dominikcro

Do not rely on Dr Google for accuracy. If you have no pain, no anal bleeding (anal fissures or Haemorroids may bleed but are not cancerous) or bowel problems or stomach pain then stop worrying. Your bowel movements are regular and healthy. If your bowel movements are sinking or swimming their ok.....relax and stop causing yourself unnecessary anxiety which in itself can cause gastric problems...

• Posted

Have you changed you diet recently? Diet change can influence your stools. Try a food diary to see if any foods could be causing this. Speak to your doctor about this too.

• Posted

As long as you feel good is all you need. If you start to feel bad seek help. It's not what you see but how you feel that counts.

• Posted

There used to be a doctor on LBC Radio (London) many years ago who used to ask 'Are you a sinker or a floater'

You can find the answer to that question in your toilet. Sinkers need a lot more fiber in their diet. Fill your diet with stone ground grains, nuts, fruits, vegetables and legumes to try to get your 35 fiber grams daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.