Persistent light-headedness and brain fog are making me question my Anxiety diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm Ross (24) and I have been suffering from odd neurological and physical symptoms for the last 3+ years.

I'm not the most active person but I try to eat well and run when I can. In the last 3+ years I've been diagnosed with "Anxiety" by 3 different GPs (Primary Care Providers for you Americans); however, each time I made the mistake of mentioning my previous visits and feel as though the diagnosis has stuck.

My symptoms in the first year were quite different from now but they slowly evolved and worsened into these symptoms that I suffer from today and have done for almost 3 years, these include:

• A disconnected sensation I describe as "being drunk without the fun part" a woozy feeling where I'm still present but feel as though I'm losing consciousness slowly, similar to the feeling present when you're about to faint or fall asleep due to anaesthetic.
  • A feeling of weakness/fatigue, like my body has no more strength to give or that my brain and body are no longer connected that follows the aforementioned symptom but I keep separate because they don't always seem to correlate.
  • A mild brain fog similar to how you feel when you've just recovered from a bad cold.
  • And a weak tension in the head.

These symptoms are forever present and range from a hindrance that stops me from living a normal life to a completely debilitating cacophony, that sometimes culminates in what I always presume to be an anxiety attack, where my ears ring, my head feels heavy, my chest and neck feel tight causing breathing difficulties and an inability to swallow, my brain will also freeze-up and jolt with burning pains. This is only momentary until I can refocus or get a few deep breaths in.

I am only 3 weeks into therapy but previously I have been prescribed various SSRIs and Amitriptyline, I have started an exercise program and even tried using breathing techniques to no avail. Nothing even gives a brief respite, in fact, every antidepressant medication I have taken has made me feel sedated to some degree and worse overall. The only thing that's had a positive outcome is forcing myself to believe I won't die or collapse and gritting my teeth, that's allowed me to lead a more functional life but I'd still struggle to go out shopping for a couple of hours and the few times I have done I've spent the majority of the time disconnected from myself and then spent at least the next 2-3 days recovering.

The reason I posted this here was that the omnipresence of my symptoms and the lack of relief have led me to believe that maybe it's not anxiety and if I do have to face my fears when do I see an improvement because I can't function like this forever, I can barely leave the house let alone lead a fulfilling life.

I don't want to write off anxiety just yet, I just don't want to be in this position where due to how ineffective the treatment has been and my own uncertainty, I can't be sure about my diagnosis and prognosis.

I am just craving some reassurance, experiences, coping techniques, or second opinions and I am willing to give anything a go as long as I can justify it. If you need any more information, feel free to ask. 😃

Thanks,

Ross

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I can actually say I know what you're experiencing. it is not fun. It's hard to believe anxiety can cause so many different and disturbing symptoms.

• Edited

I have dealt with anxiety since my late 20s. I’ve had all of your sensations and yes, they can all be caused by anxiety and stress. Back when this happened to me when there was no Internet support so you can imagine how scared I was.

eventually my sensations decreased in intensity and I was able to manage much better. But I didn’t notice the more anxious I was about anything the more I would have those crazy sensations. So it really is important to learn how to manage stress and anxiety and how to relax your mind and not overthink things. If it is really difficult for you, get some counseling for it. No symptoms or sensations of anxiety will hurt you, they are just annoying and you can do a lot to decrease or illuminate them. Just take one day at a time like I did and everything will work out. Take care

• Edited

Update:

I am nearing the end of my therapy and I am extremely worried, my only takeaway has been that I now have the mental tools and fortitude to push myself a little more, but the physical symptoms still remain the same. I still feel like I am risking my life every time I exert myself, even though I know that it's a completely foolish mindset based on physical sensations alone.

I want to ask anyone who believes they have been in my position before:

• How long did it take to stop feeling these sensations or for them to be manageable enough to enjoy the idea of going out with friends or travelling for example.
    • And was it a conscious effort, did you have to tell yourself these sensations aren't real and to ignore them and keep pushing or did it just go away with continued exposure.

Honestly would appreciate any insight or tips because I'm in a really tough spot at the moment.

Thank you,

Ross

• Posted

Hi,

Reading your original message, I can confirm to the exact same symptoms - tightness in neck and head / brain fog / tension headache and similar to yourself was diagnosed with anxiety. This was after visiting a Neuro and having an MRI scan, was first prescribed with Amitriptyline and later Sertraline - unfortunately other than dehydrating and making me sweat very easy the head pressure still very much remains.

Do you have this problem in all or specific environments ? I ask, as mine seems worst at workplace (office) at the start of the day I feel 'normal' but by home time my head feels like soup. Have found the most effective method of reducing the brain fog is exercise or similar activity (such as walking a dog) to relax your mind.

Apologies if this is not too helpful, you are not alone with this issue !

• Edited

It's weirdly reassuring to know someone had the scan for how I feel and got negative results.

As for triggers, the symptoms are there all the time but they are considerably worse when I'm out and especially if I use public transport to travel, the little wait to get on the train or bus is a killer for me.

Exercise especially running is basically the only thing that keeps me from going stir crazy at this point; reading, studying and playing video games (with friends) can also give me a brief relief but nothing like exercise.

No need to apologise, any input is appreciated 😃

• Posted

Yes - I am not a fan of using public transport either, I think some of the pushing / shoving and general impatience of others is a trigger. I'm big in running too - it's great for clearing the head - am a member of a local club and have completed a number of races this year (including a marathon which I still can't get my head around) do park run's fairly regular - great fun if you have one local...

• Posted

I do have a park local, but I also have a river with a straight path which is a godsend I used to be able to stomach 8km but no I'm gasping after 3km but I'll get there 😃

And I did something similar I walked about 20km on holiday in New York with my current anxious symptoms and I'll never understand how I did it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.