Persistent scotomas, shaky vision, going blind?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello All,

I am writing this post, since I feel like there is no hope for me. It all started 6 months ago when I had stomach issues - basically stomach pain after every meal I had. I was at hospital many times and I believe that at some point I developed extreme health anxiety... At one visit at ER doctors gave me one dose of Valium - and it started. Basically the day after "Valium visit" all my problems related to stomach issues resolve - they just disapeared completely. This let me believe that stomach problems were related to stressfull period of tome that I had back then. But two days after that ER visit my eyes became totaly messed up with following symptoms:

• Scotomas (blind spots in vision). It started with one scotoma in right eye and now after 5 months I have like 30 small blind spots in both eyes mainly in peripheral vision;
  • vision that literally vibrates;
  • visual snow;
  • blurry close vision;
  • eye pain;
  • stiff muscles especially in neck;
  • fatigue;
  • inability to see full picture. Before this when I was looking at my phone my brain was able to see whole screen at once. Now I have to move my eyes constantly from top to bottom to see it all.

All syntoms are now constant for 5 months now (and I feel like scotomas count is increasing and old scotomas do not dissapear)

I was afraid so I went to hospital - I was there for 7 days and had following tests:

-MRI of head, neck and eyes;

• Blood tests for Lyme and 10 other diseases that might be associate with theese symptoms;
  • I think like 15 eye tests including Tomography, EEG, VEP. Guess what - all results were normal wothout any even slight diaturbances...

Has anyone has theese symtoms and maybe there is a person who had them and now recovered? Can they be related to Valium? Or maybe to health anxiety?

I really hope that someone can put some light on on because I have no further tests to do. On my last day on hospital doctors told me that they have done all necessary tests and there is nothing they can do anymore.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you are still taking Valium ask your doctor to change it for an alternative. It may be side effects from the drug.

• Posted

Hello Marina - thank you for reply. No - I only took Valium one time and that was it. It might not be related, I just wrote it since my eye issues appeared right after Valium.

• Posted

I found two simmilar cases on this forum - from 2016 and 2020 however in both posts there were no information if the problem progresses or if things got better. I really need some reassurance or at least a hint of what it might be. My thought are on ocular migraine, however everywhere I read about this condition there is information I read that it may last 30 minutes or max 1 hour. I am reaching 6 months of non stop migraine then...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.