Persistent shortness of breath, can't take deep breaths

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been experiencing some shortness of breath for about the last month. It happens for a few days or a day at a time and then goes away. On the days that I am experiencing this shortness of breath, it seems to worsen at night, though it does not wake me up at night.

I feel like I am not able to fully fill my lungs with air and tend to make myself yawn in attempts to get more air in, which is not always effective. Every few deep breaths I am able to get a full deep breath, but it causes a little bit of panic and discomfort.

I do not have a history of any breathing/lung issues or allergies with the exception of some very mild seasonal allergies. I have been tested a few times for COVID-19 and have always tested negative. I do have anxiety that is very well controlled with medication that I have been taking for over a year.

I do live in a very cold climate and it recently turned into winter, but I have also lived here my whole life so that is not anything new for me.

I am wondering if anybody has experience with adult onset Asthma? Or any experience with breathing issues similar to these??

Thanks!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

yes i had the same exact thing happen to me, sometimes still does. i went to doctors for this and at the time it could of been from a few things. i went to doctors for acid reflux, and was put on meds to treat. it helped but still could not get a satisfying deep breath, so i went to a lung doctor and was told i had asthma, i was 29 years old, and never had a problem before until then. But anxiety can play a huge part in that also. i would just make some doctors appointments to be sure. hope this helps

• Posted

Hi ace1425!

As far as I know, people can develop allergies at any stage of their life. I am not sure about asthma. I would suggest you check that with your doctor. Also, has anything else changed drastically due to winter, like air quality or pet dander? I would suggest that you check the AQI on a reliable source like NOAA or a good app like climacell. I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.