Persistent sore throat, cough, possible enlarged tonsil. Is this early stage on cancer??

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I am young male (20 yrs old) and I have had troubles with my throat for like 2 weeks already. It all started with fever, night sweats, cough, headache and sore throat which worsened every day. I mostly felt pain on right side of the throat and barely could eat, drink or yawn. The pain radiated to whole right side, i could even feel it in ear. GP told me it is just some bacterial infection and prescribed me strong antibiotics. The effect of antibiotics was very slow but after taking them all everything resolved. I felt good for 2 days and after that excess cough and sore throat was back again with mostly right sided pain I could feel in ear when yawning. Basically it has returned after taking strong antibiotics Then I noticed something weird in my mouth, not sure if it is a enlarged tonsil but it looks like it (photo below). So my symptoms currently are: excess cough and sore throat (mostly on right side) and a possible enlarged tonsil. After googling enlarged tonsils only result that came up was cancer. And since my symptoms came back after strong antibiotics...I do not know what this could be. Please see the photo and help me understand if it is a enlarged or swollen tonsil and if these symptoms can indicate tonsil or throat cancer. Thanks smile

PS: Color of my tongue on photo is due to light and medications.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Enlarged tonsils doesn’t automatically mean cancer.   Could be a viral infection. Which antibiotics can’t treat.  And it can take a few weeks for the symptoms to subside. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.