Persistent Symptoms: Anxiety or Something Else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

For a while now I've been dealing with some non-specific symptoms that come and go and alternate. These symptoms are not crippling, but their persistence has created quite a bit of anxiety for me. These are: mild but constant headaches, shortness of breath (I ran a mile in less than 6 minutes recently, so it seems perceived), tension and discomfort in leg muscles, blurry vision at times, and more tiredness than usual. I've had several tests done with my primary and with few exceptions it all seems fine, so eventually he recommended I seek help from a psychologist because he ascribes it to stress and health anxiety. I have sought help and it seems to be helping a littIe bit. I tend to agree with him, because whenever I relax I do feel better, but I still wonder if we are overlooking something obvious. Blood work has been good except Vitamin D (low - around 24), Vitamin B12 (in range but could be better at 405) and MCHC a bit low at 31.8 (range is 32 - 36). Inflammation markers, T3, T4, TSH, and everything else is well in range. I am currently supplementing with B12, Omega-3, and Vitamin D in the hopes that it will help with the anxiety and perhaps a few of the symptoms. I exercise as much as possible and eat well, too well at times. Has anyone had a similar experience or has a suggestion on what else to look at? I know many of us wonder the same thing, but is anxiety really causing all this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I started feeling poorly last September, same symptoms as you, saw several doctors, tension headaches, migrane and one said anxiety ( I had never suffered from anxiety).

A fourth doctor who I'd never seen before sent me for a neck xray and the results were severe neck osteoarthritis and slippage in my neck, she said all this would cause my symptoms, cervogenic neck I think she said. Good luck, hope you get some answers

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback jane96717. I actually went to a chiropractor a couple of years ago due to neck pain and the x-ray revealed nothing out of the ordinary. I did have a knot around C3/C4 that was very painful but it resolved completely after some massage therapy sessions with a great therapist. The knot turned out to be muscular. Neck pain is now gone. 

Best of luck to you. I hope you find some relief for your ailment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.