Persistent tonsil pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have been suffering with a sore throat, hoarseness and a painful tonsil on left side for well over a month now, during this period I have also had a bronchial chest infection and bacterial tonsillitis but only on the left tonsil. I had strong antibiotics during this episode manly due to the chest infection but since then (3 weeks) the left tonsil has remained red and it is very painful to swallow, I went back to my Dr who did it my be thrush left over from the antibiotics but I don't have my other oral thrush symptoms. He gave me some oral tablets which I've taken for the last 4 days and not the slightest bit of difference.

Sometimes the pain becomes intense and a coughing fit ensues which is then followed by a blocked nose. Tonight this coughing caused me to vomit too...does anyone have my suggestions as to what may be going on? Should I return to my GP?

Thanks, feeling fed up! (Should mention I have Fibromyalgia and underactive thyroid too) x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

There may be multiple issues here. One that you may have a viral infection going on, that why antibiotics are not working. But it should have cleared in one month. 

So, maybe you have bronchitis, or other lung problem, that could also have to do with sinus allergic disorder. 

Obviously you need to check with the doctor and explain whats going on cause you had progressive symptoms. 

• Posted

Hey! so i have had similar symptoms only mine have come after my Tonsillectomy in February. I initially had my tonsils up for about a year i went through A LOT of anti biotics i think a little to much and my GP was considering doing an IV to see if that would work but instead he refered me to an ENT to get them removed. Most of the issues were with the left tonsil as it was more swollen than the other and eventually started to get pus on it although after taking the last lot of anti biotics the pus slowly started to go but not completely hens getting them removed as i couldnt put my body through anymore anti biotics and my GP was worried i was building up a resistance to them. So about 3 and a half weeks post op after i thought everything was going well i started to get a lot of pain again and that same left tonsil had come back up again and was swollen. I was really angry that it had been such a short amount of time after the surgery and i went back to see him and he said this was definately not part of the plan and he put the camera down my nose into my throat which by the way was really gross! and the back of my tounge was also swollen. I am now booked in to have the surgery again! in the next 2 weeks at the surgeons expense as i have been in pain everday now swallowing, yawning basicaly anything along those lines is painful and he just said until the surgery to have panadol or neurofen and ive been having cups of ice everyday. I dont know why it has become swollen again and neither does he wether its because he left to much tissue in there or theres something else going on im not sure but i hope ill find out when he removes it again. i just find it weird that the left side is the only one that has come back up again and makes me wonder if there is something else wrong? in regards to your situation i would definately go back to your GP and tell them especially if its causing you to vomit and get worse! let me know how you go, i hope you get some answers soon! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.