Persistent upper back pain and gas - Ibs or something else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had back pain on and off for a couple of weeks but almost constantly for a week. It seems to be coming from a spot next to my spine on the right in my middle/upper back but is radiating across my whole back. It only goes away at times when my lower abdomen or right side hurt instead and i feel bloated/gassy a lot of the time. It's worse at night and first thing in the morning but as I said, pretty constant. Last week i thought it might be a kidney infection as i was urinating a lot but that's back to normal and i don't have a fever. Back pain is not normal for me and I'm worried about how long it's lasting but i can't get a doctor's appointment for a couple of weeks. Due to the bloating/gas and occasional stomach/side pain could it really just be ibs???

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi hannah with back pain , gassy ,bloating i have to ask , are you on any medication , supplements or get good sunshine often ?

• Posted

I'm not on any medication, and generally i look after myself with diet etc. Also i forgot to mention i already had my gallbladder removed so it's not that. The main symptom is constant unrelenting back pain.

• Posted

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked recently ? Low levels can cause havoc to your body and you cant get what your body needs from foods or milk .. Your symptoms sounds like you could be low i

• Posted

a few weeks wait to see a gp can be too long when we are worrying. could be kidney infection my daughter suffers but she does not mention gas, I had diverticulitis and sever ibs so I get gas and pain , in back and tummy though . I personally would call doctors at 8 and ask for emergency appointment. tell them the back pain is stopping you from sleeping and functioning as you normally would and also the strong urge to wee. they will see you the same day they cannot refuse , that's the best step forward on that side of things I would say , and still try what others are suggesting but do call up and tell them you are TIRED from being in pain they cannot refuse you

• Posted

hi Hannah

I dont know about IBS but please see a doctor as soon as you can.

you should not have pain like that.

• Posted

If you can't see a doctor immediately then go to the nearest hospital emergency room. They will see you and treat you immediately and probably give you a CT scan.

• Posted

Hannah i agree with these guys , you need to be checked out to see whats going on . Keep us updated . Best wishes for you

• Posted

Sounds lBS from all the symptoms you describe. It can also cause frequent urination. I had constant pain, back pain, nausea and constipation and loose stools for three and a half months before my IBS was picked up. Do you have IBS or are you still awaiting diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.