Personal Diary as evidence for PIP claim

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is it still worth writing a day to day 'diary' of how my disability affects me coping in everyday activities and injuries caused by trying etc.?

Also sending a spouse's report of what I cannot manage and when etc.?

Do the DWP not usually disbelieve this as it is written by the claimant and close relation?

I was told, "Anyone can write a log, it is not evidence". I feel deflated, as I thought this would at least matter?

What is the point then, if they disregard such paperwork alongside the medical evidence? Any views please?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Collie if you use it to support other evidence then yes it's a viable source to show them how you manage or not!! day to day, remember though that it's how your diagnosis effects you, not about how your partner cleans Hoover's etc, so within the information you send from dr's and consultant etc the diary can put them in touch with say your mental health and how it can impact on say outings, physical problems your having say with washing and dressing.

Hope whoever gave you the advice doesn't give up their day job LOL

• Posted

Hi,

Lots of people send this as evidence. It's the same as all evidence a claimant sends, they either use it or ignore it. If it's backed up by medical evidence then there's more chance of it being used. Although i have read that people have sent just that without being backed up with medical evidence and been awarded.

My advice send all relevant evidence to be sure. This is really all you can do and hope a decision goes in your favour.

• Posted

If someone does write you a letter of support or you write a diary for yourself, you should include those PIP descriptors and why/how they apply to you. As Alexandria has stated, it's not about housework etc. It's also important to try to understand the descriptors and what they mean. For example, following and planning a journey and moving around for mobility part. You'll be amazed at the people that have no idea what it meas. Basically following and planning a journey is for mental health and moving around is for physical health. Someone that has mental health and physical mobility problems would not be able to score points in the moving around part.

• Posted

Thank you both, much appreciated, just find it distressing that the DWP has the power to either use this evidence or ignore it, doesn't seem right really, especially if it is confirmed by a GP. Hope you are a little better.

• Posted

No problem. Yes, indeed no one understands their logic in these things. You just have to stay strong and fight for what you think you're entitled to. This is the only way.

• Posted

Hi denise, 

I am one of those people that do not understand mobility descriptors. As I read your post (I am on lots of meds! ), I cannot get points for both, only for one? 

So someone unable to travel on public transport and can only walk, aided, 20-50 metres, with difficulty, will only score points for one or other but not both? Denise, this is critical for me as I have almost got my PIP claim for from dla  to pip ready to send off tomorrow.

Mike.

• Posted

HI Mike,

Yes of course you can score points in both, if the descriptors apply. That's not what my comment meant. What i meant was that some people think that if they become anxious because of their mental health and they have to stop walking to sit down and calm down, they think that because they can't walk a certain distance without stopping this means they should be awarded points in the moving around part. This is not the case for those with mental health issues only.

You are different, you suffer mental health and physical disabilities.

• Posted

Hi denise,

Thank you for your quick response, I know you are suffering with your own problems at the moment and I appreciate your clearing that up for me.

I am getting myself wound up and once self doubt starts creeping about everything else crashes down. I think I have done all I can for now, unfortunately,  my neurosurgeon has let me down with some crucial evidence that he has not supplied despite my requesting it in written letters on three separate occasions. 

Mike.

ps  sorry to Collie Dog for jumping in on their post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.